Gertie

Cats catching lots of mice at the moment?

I'm despairing for the poor rodents this month. 

Is anyone else experiencing a surge in their cats hunting activities during the last month? Over the last month my cats are catching and murdering mice like they are going out of fashion. They eat a great deal of what they catch but they are bringing me presents every day. I'm not sure if there are more mice about, or if it's because I went away on holiday. 

Today I returned from Sainsburys and within 30 seconds of dumping the bags my big tabby came in, mouse in mouth, and dropped it into one of the open bags. This was mildly amusing until I saw the poor mouse was still alive but unfortunately injured, so I had to despatch it. Normally they are either dead or fully alive so I can rescue them and put them in a cat proof outhouse! 

Sorry for the ramble but I know the cat lovers amongst you might understand!

I suspect that could well be the reason, also as the nights cool down they move into outbuildings etc for warmth. We always get them in our garage at the time of year and as soon as we store our potatoes we have to set up the traps or we end up with nibbled bags and potatoes. Always catch more in the early autumn than later on. The mice may also be trying to tank themselves up for the winter so they are out and about more.

Yes, there are always lots around at harvest time, and they come nearer to houses as the weather gets cold. Mine haven't brought any in recently, but remains left outdoors are usually gobbled up by the lurchers anyway.

Thank your lucky stars they aren't bringing in rats.... popped into Bell Plantation at the weekend and saw rats the size of small cats scampering about :shock:

Ah, I wondered if it was a seasonal thing. I just feel sorry for the little critters, especially the voles as they seem so slow and gentle. Not all of them get killed or eaten and I always chase the cats down and rescue then. I often end up on the lawn with one shoe on, the other being on the ground as a refuge for the poor creature and a transport aid!

Yes, I'm glad they aren't into rats as well. The only rat they brought in was a deceased baby & my partner found it and wrapped it in kitchen paper & left it on the door mat to put in the bin (or for me to). I decided to look at it and the whole paper parcel was teaming with parasites! Yuk!