We've got a fabulous covered WIR set on a patio but we're having problems with the floor of the chicken run getting wet from water seeping between the tiny gaps between the wood and slightly uneven surface of the patio. So when we have heavy rains the auboise in the run still get soaked, we've tried exterior sealent but without success.

We're thinking that maybe we need to raise to floor of the run, this kennel flooring looks ideal but is far too expensive (about £600 for my 15 x 6 run)

http://www.reeveskennels.co.uk/hexabase.php

we could do something similar using wood and maybe putting lino over the wood to keep it washable - but I'm worried this would give a dark damp area underneath which would encourage red mite?

we could possibly sit more paving slabs inside the run to raise the floor but without grouting them I'm worried the wet would still find a way up?

Does anyone have any better ideas?

slabs on top of slabs doesn't work I know I've tried it my broody coop is on the patio. lino on top of wood isn't a good idea as it'll make the wood sweat plus it'll trap water between the wood and lino I've seen this happen in bathrooms with both wooden and concrete floors

I've been thinks about using wooden deck tiles or plastic driveway tiles I got them in a couple of my dirt floored runs to stop the little sods from digging bomb craters but I haven't figure out how to do it cheaply I know it needs to be a raised floating floor to keep the bedding out of the water and to aid drainage but the gap between the slabs and the new floor needs to be rat proof

this is 1 of tiles that I use http://www.coregravel.co.uk/products/corepath-gravel-pathway-stabilisation/

do you think they would scratch through a pond liner? If not this would possibly be an option though I'm liking the idea of the coregravel flooring with maybe slabs over the top. Might price this up.

Other option I suggested to OH would be to completely relay the patio on a slant with drainage channels in - far more expensive than any other option which will now mean that when I suggest anything else that is cheaper it will seem like a bargain!! :lol:

I know I am fed up to the back teeth of replacing the auboise every time it rains.

if the run is going to be a permanent fixture on the patio why dont you place some medium density blocks under the frame of the WIR but concrete them to the patio and the water will never get in just make sure they are level

DSCF8292.jpg

sorry for the big photo but you will be able to see what i mean and my WIR sits on the blocks and the slabs sit on the inside of the raised area as you can see i made it fox proof by building the weld mesh through the blocks and it covers the entire floor with a skirt on the outside

Mine does that sometimes and I have a solid concrete floor. I used garage floor paint on the concrete but where the wood frame sits on the run I use exterior sealant and push it into the cracks well. On the inside of the run i used waterproof tile grout and then smeared it with exterior sealant. I have to redo the outside bit several times a year but it works. I got fed up using sand bags and putting cloths along the base.

I still sweep water away from around the run after heavy rain I'm on my third broom :lol:

do you think they would scratch through a pond liner? If not this would possibly be an option though I'm liking the idea of the coregravel flooring with maybe slabs over the top. Might price this up.

Other option I suggested to OH would be to completely relay the patio on a slant with drainage channels in - far more expensive than any other option which will now mean that when I suggest anything else that is cheaper it will seem like a bargain!! :lol:

I know I am fed up to the back teeth of replacing the auboise every time it rains.

I filled the core gravel with soil then wood chips on top mainly as that was what I'd dug out but course sand or pea gravel will do the job then the bedding on top it'll make for better drainage and it's a good surface to clean off