paulad

Bumpa Bit now fitted

We dont think the Bumpa Bit girl is eating - its been fitted for a few days now - she never eats when she comes out in the morning and we have seen her attempt to eat later in the day but not manage it

Any ideas ?? should we just stick with it a little longer ??

No she hasnt been able to claw it out and it has been on a fair few days now.

We are wondering now if the other POL is doing it too as there are still lots of feathers in the coop in the morning BUT this hen also has feathers pecked from her back so we originally assumed it was Matilda doing it.

The exbats dont seem to have lost anymore feathers on their backs but they now have bald patches on their throats - really not sure whats going on at all :?

We only had the POLs in June - didnt think they were meant to moult yet ??

Are the exbats likely to be moulting do you think - obviously we only got them 3 weeks ago so no idea on age but i guess there are around 12-18months..

oooh i do love my chucks but there is SO much to learn

Thanks for all your help The Dogmother x

The newbies may well moult this autumn, but just a small moult; the general rule of thumb is that if they were hatched before the longest day, then they will moult that autumn. Those hatched after that day probably won't. As I said, this is just a rule of thumb though.

New ex-batts may well moult, and they will grow through a new set of feathers more suited to their new surroundings. Support them in this with some good poultry tonic in their water and add a tablespoon of Biotin powder (NAF make this as horse feed) to about 2 litres of pellets.

The Dogmother

We refitted the bumpa bit - changed it so it was slightly higher (near her eyes) - we did give "old grumpy" a few mealworms inbetween removal and refit and she gobbled them down - she refused them again once refit was complete !!

Then she went off to sulk - so we will see how it goes tomorrow

thanks for all your help today xx