curlu

A Query about clearer board vs cover boards over winter

Hi everyone

This may be covered somewhere in the Guide but I have not spotted it so thought I would ask on here. I have been feeding using contact feeder and clearer board, when feeding is finished, do I remove the clearer board and replace with cover board for winter? It seems a bit counter productive to be opening the hive at this time of year. But if I leave the cover board on with its hole, will that adversely affect the hive? Also if I need to feed over winter then I assume I will need to leave a clearer board on so that they can access the food rather than a completely sealed top of hive? Is there a need to cover the hole in the clearer board if left on? Or is the beehaus lid sufficiently insulated to leave it open?

Many thanks

Pamela

Do you mean a feeder board? A clearer board is used to remove bees from a super when harvesting.

I don't have a beehaus but I do have poly hives. I have left my feeder boards on, just covering the hole, when I used to feed fondant in a container but I now feed,if needed, straight onto the cluster so after feeding I replace the feeder board with a solid crown board. Your choice really, just NO HOLE.

PS are you really feeding with a contact feeder?

Thanks for the reply, the Beehaus does not have a "feeder" board, only 2 types of boards one solid and the other with a hole in it which Omlet refer to as a clearer board it has an insert which can be removed much the same as with a national I would imagine. Omlet only has one type of feeder that it suggests as suitable for use with the beehaus given the dimensions of the supers and I believe its a 1/2 gallon contact feeder.

I hope some experienced beehaus users will comment as this is my first winter with bees!

Pamela

Ah....just nomenclature then.

I've just had a look at the instruction manual. The clearer board appears to have a lip top-side. You would have to fit this with some sort of insulation. Failing that you could leave a super on top and put a layer of 50mm EPS in it.

It all looks a bit of a faff.

How quick is it to whip off a clearer board and pop on the cover board. Seconds I should think. The bees will hardly notice.

Pity the cover boards aren't see through :(

Why don't you phone Omlet....

Best of luck and tell us what they say....I'd like to know anyway