st3phani3

Look mum I'm on the telly.........soon

Hi there.

Not sure if I am doing this right but here goes.

Over the summer one of my chickens (Houdini) had a sinus infection plus mycoplasma as well.I visited two vets who said they had experience with poultry?? they both gave her anti-b's (Baytril & Tylan) but this did not work. Decided to bite the bullet and contacted The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies. Met with Kevin Eatwell (fantastic knowledge re chickens)and he decided a further two weeks on anti-b's. This intensive course did not work either but I trusted him and contacted Kevin to opt for the operation. Turned out that the BBC (CBBC) Junior Vets were filming there and wanted to film the operation on Houdini. The operation was a success and Houdini has fully recovered. It was an expensive operation but as she was an ex-bat rescue hen from Homes4Hens in Dumfries, she was well worth it. I believe the programme is to be aired in February 2014. Not sure exact date but I will be in touch with more info when the BBC contact me. (purple eglu)

At last..........CBBC is airing the footage of Houdinis operation. Hope you all enjoy. Details below;

I am just getting in touch about the Junior Vets programme which we filmed with you and Houdini last Summer.

We have just heard from the broadcaster that they are going to start transmitting the series on Monday 2nd June at 7.45am on the CBBC Channel. It will run daily, Monday to Friday for 2 weeks.

The episode Houdini features in will go out on Monday 9th June (at the same time of 7.45am).

Houdini is doing well and now has taught her sisters how to escape into the house to steal the cats food or anything else they can get their beaks into.

(purple eglu)!eggspeck!!eggbrown!!eggbrown!!eggbrown! from 4 lovely ex-bats.

Ooh, you and Houdini will both be famous :D .

I know you're not too far from me if you went to the Dick Vet :wink: .

Hi there, not sure if I am doing this right but the chooks and their servant (me) live in Corstorphine. We are always on the lookout for a poultry trained vet as previous vets we have visited have not inspired that trusting bond you normally pick up with a vet. I always ask people who admit to having chooks who their vet is but it seems that they don't have or trust them either. As you have posted that you are in the Edinburgh area, I wondered if you have a vet you trust and has good poultry training?

Like the photos of your WIR. Lots of activity perches etc., has given me a few ideas. Saving up for my Omlet WIR as I really like it. Not had red mite...so far and thats why I am sticking with wire run as the horror stories I have read about this mite has put me off wood. Hope you have not had any problems.

Anyway, enjoy the programme and at least Houdini will be glad the telly has stuck a few pounds on her ex-bat scraggy body. Fnar, fnar. ;)