Claireabella

Poorly hen-suspected Coccidiosis?

This is my first post and not a very good one I'm afraid. I will apologise for the long post in advance but I should probably give some background info here.

My hen (Pepper) has lost a lot of weight recently (she is also molting) and I had spotted what I thought was tapeworm in her poop. The vet recommended a course of flubenvet which finished on Xmas day. All four of my hens had been wormed with flubenvet four months earlier.

On Boxing day, it all seemed to go downhill and she stood in the garden all day hunched and looking very sorry for herself. I'd also noticed that she wasn't doing any solid poop, it was very watery. My vet was very good and gave her a thorough examination but couldn't find anything wrong apart from a poorly looking hunched hen with watery diarreah and not eating so she prescribed Baytril for a week but said the prognosis didn't look good.

Her poop is still just like cloudy water but appears to have blood in it now. I sent my OH to buy coxoid today although I am aware that this product is not licensed for poultry use, my vet does not stock Baycox. The vet has advised me that if there is not any improvement from the antibiotics by now (day 4) I could try the coxoid but she thinks coccidiosis is unlikely. Pepper is very poorly now although she did perk up a few times today and pecked the door to go outside and went free ranging for a bit (even snatched a worm from another hen!) but came back in the house and hunched up again. If it wasn't for these times when she perks up a bit I think I may have had her PTS by now but I just want to give her every chance but don't want her to suffer if that makes sense?!

I'm out of ideas of what else to do now. Any advice or experiences of this would be greatly appreciated and apologies again for the long ranting post!

I'm so sorry to hear about your poorly girl, we had a similar experience and tried all sorts of treatment at the vets but in the end she went downhill so much the kindest thing was to put her to sleep (originally suspected coccidiosis but turned out it was her heart failing). Unfortunately by the time hens are showing signs of being this poorly, they really are in a bad way, as a prey species its their way of preventing themselves becoming 'picked off' in the wild. It's really hard to let them go, especially when as you say, she sometimes shows signs of perking up but sometimes it's the kindest thing you can do for them. Only you will know when the time is right for her but I do hope things work out. I've had to deal with all sorts of injuries and illnesses with our girls but looking back have never regretted making the final decision each time I've had to.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Thank you so much for your reply. It really does mean a lot.

Pepper is still with us this morning and was moaning to come out of the dog crate when I got up. She had a drink and then started pacing up and down the door and tapping on the glass again to be let out into the garden, which I did and she seemed to enjoy it. She is back in the house again now though and still not looking very good. She is refusing to eat anything, not even her usual favourite treats (sweetcorn, grapes, mealworms etc).

I'm going to give the coxoid a chance but if she is no better once the vet reopens after the new year, I think you are right, it will be time to let her go.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen too. I had to have my ex-batt PTS in July and it broke my heart but she was 5, which my vet said was an excellent age!

I'm really hoping Pepper picks up soon... I'm going to try and get her to eat something...

Thank you, what a good idea! She's always been the one who prefers the worms and bugs! I couldn't get my hands on any white fishing maggots but I managed to get some live meal worms and she's eaten lots of them! yay!

She is still clearly poorly though and the poop situation hasn't improved but she seems to be walking about a bit more. I'm praying that's a good sign.

I don't know if this will mean anything to anyone but I also noticed today that the part of her eye that is normally yellow looks quite red. Hard to describe really but looks bloodshot I guess??

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you updated. Oh, I almost forgot Happy New Year to everyone too!

I'm cautiously going to say I think there has been a slight improvement today *touches wood*. She is still disinterested in food overall but I came downstairs to find her on the dining table pecking the apples and after I'd peeled one she pecked it all around the dining room floor and ate about half of it :D Not an ideal diet I know, but giving her whatever she will eat at the moment. She always has fresh pellets available and tried soaking some too but she's not bothering with those.

I've been scouring the internet for days trying to find answers and it keeps coming back to coccidiosis or worms. She's been on coxoid for 2 days now but her poops are still the same. (My OH now thinks I'm obsessed with chicken poop as I keep saying "it looks a bit like this one doesn't it" or "it definitely looks like that one" :oops: )

If she shows improvement again tomorrow I'm going to get a faecal sample to the vet ASAP. At least we should find out what we're dealing with then for definite. I desperately want her to get better :pray: I feel so sorry for her and she's molting too which can't be helping. She's having a really tough time of it lately.

Just thought I'd post an update: I don't want to jinx it but she seems to be on the road to recovery! She's spending more time out with the other girls and is slowly getting her appetite back...baby steps at the moment.

She will have finished the Coxoid on Monday morning and will have had the full seven day course. I'm still don't know for sure that it is coccidiosis but I've sent a sample to Retfords Poultry who were very helpful on the phone and much more reasonable than the £80 I was previously quoted!

I've read that she will need vitamins once she has finished the Coxoid as it's quite hard on them and she really needs to put some weight on (she was wormed right before this too,had 3 days of baytril and is molting). What could I give her for all this?

Sorry, I have another question too. She's had a couple of baths to clean her dirty bottom (it's getting better) but it doesn't seem to get all of it and it dries hard. Should I be using anything other than water? She's got a small bald patch there wher she's molted and the pin feathers are coming through so don't want to keep touching it really as I've heard it quite uncomfortable for them. Any suggestions? My other hen keeps trying to peck either her bald patch or her dirty feathers, they can be really mean sometimes can't they? She did get her back though with a good donk on the head :lol: Don't think she's lost her place in pecking order just yet.

Thank you as always for all the help

Glad to hear Pepper is improving. My vet always recommends Avipro (you can get this online and doesn't need a prescription) when they're ill or when on medication to help them recover ie. after the Coxoid, or you could try Lifeguard tonic or Nettex Poultry Tonic which are good for general health.

I've had success encouraging poorly hens to eat with chopped tomato, cucumber, apple, sweet corn kernels, mealworms, which is worth a try.

You could use something like 'Simple' shower gel or Johnsons Small Animal Shampoo to help clean her up, try gently squashing the hard dried bits with your fingernails if you can manage it without hurting her, bit yucky but it can do the trick! If your other hens are pecking her I'd keep them separate for a while until she's recovered, she won't feel like using all her energy defending herself.

Keep us updated with her progress!

Glad to hear Pepper is improving :D I have found the nettex products very good. I always keep the nutri-drops in as they are a real pick me up for poorly or recovering hens. They also do a good tonic and a special tonic for moulting. My girls are getting life guard in their water at the moment, which seems good too :D

Sadly, I have also had a poorly chook in the house. But my Florence is going down hill and I fear it may be a one way journey to our vet tomorrow :(

Such a worry when they are ill :( Best wishes for Pepper :dance:

Thank you Dolly and Mimi, I really appreciate the advice. It is really worrying when they're poorly and sometimes it's hard to know what to do for the best.

Dolly, I hope Grace improves soon :pray: and Mimi, I'm keeping everything crossed for Florence's trip to the vets tomorrow x

I'm back at work tomorrow :( so my OH will be in charge. Pepper's chose my computer desk to sleep on tonight instead of the dog crate...I haven't got the heart to move her x

Well, I've had the results from Retfords and they didn't detect any worms or cocci so I'm a bit stumped now... :(

Pepper was showing small signs of recovery but doesn't seem so well again now. She's only eating and drinking small amounts and still has diarrhoea with occasional solid bits in when she's eaten. She's had Avipro in the water since yesterday. She has no runny nostrils or eyes (although they are still red as I mentioned in an earlier post) and no rattly noises when breathing. I have seen her gape but not with any frequency, maybe once or twice a day but I would have thought that it would have been picked up by the sample if it were gape worms. No signs of lice or mites. Crop seems normal for what she is eating and drinking. I just can't figure out what's going on :cry: I feel like I'm missing something...

I'm pleased for you that the poop results didn't show any nasties.

I don't know what else to suggest for your girl.

Hopefully after a couple of days of avipro/tonic she may pick up.

And maybe someone else will come along that can offer some more ideas.

Thanks Luvachicken. I am at a loss of what it could be now too... I'm hoping the Avipro and plenty of TLC will give her the boost she needs :pray:

How is she today? Do you feel a trip to the vet maybe needed? I have found this so hard to call at times....but the vet I use is great and very supportive :D

She helped my bring Florence back from the brink last spring and she enjoyed all the summer, did a full moult and I feel happy that she had at least another 9 months :D Fortunately, it was vet Sarah who treated her this time and ultimately she was PTS by Sarah :cry:

We can always feel good about giving them a chance :dance: