Charlottechicken

Frugal living 2014

Continues from 2013 thread

I need to step this up for the year. Anyone care to join me?

I want to get the best deals for things I need to buy, cut coupons, get more clothing 2nd hand, and generally save money! The year will start off on a good frugal footing as, due to using the woodburner, my monthly gas and electric direct debit has been cut by over £30 to just £59 :dance: (that's over £360 a year saving!)

I've not been to the sales, so far, and intend to keep it that way!

Followers of frugalness, feel free to join in!

I need to look at energy bills. I've just downloaded a free app called Meters which is meant to help you keep track of what you're using. I'm really lazy about it - the gas meter is in a very hard-to-get to place, I usually end up taking a photo on my phone and then reading it from the photo, so I can do it if I try.

I am going to try and have more 'no spend' days in 2014 too.

Thought I would share a tip with you about cutting your own hair. This works if you have enough hair length to put in a pony tail. I had seen a technique in a newspaper a while ago about layering your hair but was too scared to give it a go. OH told me he has been cutting his own hair for years, and as I do my fringe anyway (my mum is happy to hack off a few inches of length when required) I had a go. OH has curly hair and I have straight hair. It works and does look a lot better, takes some weight off your hair too!

I call it the unicorn technique, if you google you will find lots of similar ways of cutting hair.

Here's how to do it. Bend over and brush your hair forward into a pony tail. Secure the pony tail with a band in the middle of your forehead, around your hairline. Secure your hair further down the pony tail, where you would like to cut it. I usually go two hand widths down the pony tail. Chop off all hair at the same length next to the bottom band, then use the scissors to clip into the cut off end, just to blunt the ends. Take off elastic bands and brush hair, voila!

Here is a video of the technique by stylist Lee Stafford, although it shows a side pony tail for a variation on the theme.

Do you think I can have a baby and still be frugal?

I am trying it! :D

So far, ive bought nothing new, im sure I will do soon, but if I can get it for a deal I will do! :D

We are also planning meals and bulk cooking :D which im sure will be hsndy when bambino gets here :D

I'll keep you informed of my progress :D

Cathy

X

Great news Cathy - it is possible; I lived very carefully as the single, working parent of a baby. See it as a challenge, and delight in every saving. :wink: The free Bounty packs (do they still do those?) are very good, as are the voucher sin them.

Have you enrolled at the kiddy clubs that the various supermarkets have? The Te$co one yielded loads of discount vouchers. 8)

Wanted some new wool, so sold some oddments and balls I didn't like on eBay which has paid for it :dance:

OH and I will be continuing with the allotment and cycling rather than drive where we can.

I am also trialling a many mini shops over a bigger shop approach, adding to a list daily and only buying what is needed every couple of days. We also are trying to get veg from the market rather than a supermarket. I know we are only 9 days in, but so far I've only spent about £25 on groceries :D

Wanted some new wool, so sold some oddments and balls I didn't like on eBay which has paid for it :dance:

You go girl! :dance:

I am also attacking the grocery spend this year. At the moment we are living out of cupboards and the freezer, just topping up on basics when needed. I successfully purchased £8.37 worth of food things we needed today for just £6.44 by using coupons and offers.

I do make a list before I shop and do, mostly, stick to it, unless there is a too-good-to-miss bargain :oops: Will just try to be a bit better at it this time. We don't throw out much food here, but will keep an eye on the fruit bowl and fridge to try and cut it out altogether!

That sounds good Claire and Debs. :clap:

I am saving on groceries with this job... we get a cooked lunch 3 days per week; lovely healthy food, and often food not eaten in the Manor at the weekend too, so special stuff. The Chef sometimes gives me extra food to bring home too; I tend to eat more mid-day, so it works out really well.

I do the weekly shop at work for the staff mess at Te$co - those of you who know me will laugh as I hate shopping, but I go really early on a Monday morning. I use my Te$co clubcard, so get the extra points on a shop of around £100, and the 'money off your next shop' vouchers too. 8)

Our meat is bought from local farms, butchers or the gamekeeper at work will give me bits now and then. I do a farmer's deal with friend who farms organically; I give them chicken manure, and they give me fresh, seasonal veggies.

Regular little sunbeam, me :wink:

Dogmother would (or should I say wood) be proud...

I've been doing the whole 'ask and you might get' approach to wood wombling with very little luck this past couple of weeks. There are two or three big construction sites on my way to work. One is a new school build, the others are housing. Pallets, logs from trees cut down, etc. strewn temptingly close to pavements and roads. I've actually approached the builders and asked. They said I had to go to the site manager (which I did). He said the logs were spoken for and he couldn't let me enter the site for the pallets due to health and safety issues. :roll:

I was feeling frustrated after my third attempt....until this evening, on a stroll down to my allotment, I noticed a house nearby had built a garage and there were stacks of what looked like untreated pallets stored to one side. So...I gathered up my nerve, knocked on the door and asked if they could spare one or two. The very nice gentleman said I could take them all! :shock:

Tonight I have taken 8 pallets, and tomorrow I will go back for another 5. Words cannot describe how excited I feel right now. And it's only forums like this one where I can confess such things.. :lol:

Wooooo :clap: good for you Saronne; you need a bit of front to be a wombler :wink:

My neighbours are now so well trained that they just lob wood over my garden fence when they're having work done.

Pallets are easy enough to chainsaw down when you get a system going, but they are rubbish wood and burn very quickly, so I mix them in with denser stuff to get a good burn.

There's something quite primitive and satisfying about wood wombling; it's a bit addictive..

And yes, I tend to mix pallet wood with logs - it's a good combination which makes a good hot fire. I've got an oscillating saw which I use to cut the pallets - and use my chainsaw for logs. My arms are getting toned - which is another bonus.

Saronne is a happy girl. 8)

Yay!

*sings*

Underground, overground, Wombling free,

Saronne's now a Wombler, like Dogmother and me!

I have been told the industrial skip is now full of wood again, I'm going to have to let it go as the back yard is still full of the last lot I haven't had chance to cut up! No 2 wood shed is full and I have some bags behind the shed as well.

Grocery wise, I popped into Aldi today for my usual £23 worth of fortnightly basics for mum and I, and, thinking ahead and what I was likely to use, I only spent £13.

Well pleased!

Yes and no.....

Chains can be sharpened 3-4 times before you need a new one; you can buy (from a DIY shed) a hand sharpener, which takes a wee while, but is pretty effective. If you plan to do it a lot, then you can get the machine which the sharpeners them selves use, which is like an angle grinder mounted at an angle on a stand... more expensive obviously.

I have used a hand sharpener before and it works well, but have also had them done locally for a few quid (can't remember exactly how much). The place I use for any chainsaw problems, servicing etc is an independent place which also sells and services lawnmowers and other garden machinery if that helps you.

Ooh, hope you get that chainsaw fixed soon.

I'm on a roll today, chickens cleaned, 3rd load of washing in the machine and second loaf in the oven :dance: First loaf is Irish soda bread and second is a bloomer, not sure of the yeast so that one will be interesting, the soda bread looks fine. We are having soup all week next week for lunch as I'm off work using up leave, so I didn't bother buying sandwich stuff or bread whilst shopping on Friday. Off to vacuum the house when the loaf finishes and then put the woodburner on. No central heating on today :dance:

I love a productive day!

We are burning our way through a mass of wood left here when we moved in; the old guy who owned the house before us was a carpenter and also collected all sorts from the village. Last year when the shed roof finally fell in ( :roll:) we had a proper sort through and disposed of all painted bits and rubbish etc. Prior to that we only ventured into the pile when OH wanted to build something or when we wanted kindling.

Now we have liberated big thick pieces which we cut up with the chainsaw, we mix this with logs, both from our own trees and from the log man. However, although this is all dry, I am concerned that the mix of wood may soot up the chimney liner on the woodburner. We currently have the chimney swept once a year but I'm wondering whether we should have it swept more often. As I know lots of you are womblers :D burning a mix of wood do you have any problems with chimneys? How often do you get yours swept? I saw a neighbours chimney fire once when I was very young and it terrified me.