Claireabella

Poorly new girl

My new girl Millie is looking poorly and I noticed yesterday that she has diarrhoea and is standing around sleeping. I started worming with flubenvet straight away since they haven't been wormed since we got them and I have put Avipro in her water. She had spent two hours in the nest box the day before but not laid an egg (although I didn't think much of it at the time as she isn't laying with any regularity yet) but now I wonder if she could possibly be egg bound? Could she still have diarrhoea if she were egg bound? She is also walking around very very slowly. I cannot feel an egg but then I don't know to be honest where or what to feel for. Could it be peritonitis?

She is eating and drinking but seems to stand around sleeping a lot, the classic 'I'm not well' stance. Fleur just keeps barging her out of the way while she's standing sleeping, so I've brought into the house in a cat basket but she has started to pant and I guess it could be that she finds it more stressful being in the house than being outside.

We've only had her 4 weeks and I'd be really grateful for any omleteer advice!

Hi,

This happened with one of my hens when I first got them back in November. She was asleep all the time, last to come out of the coop and when she did come out she just stood around with her eyes closed. I put her in a pop up tent on her own for a couple of days in the garage, with food and water and a few treats to encourage her to eat. I treated them all with flubervent and also noticed she had lice around her vent, so I treated them all for that too.

She perked up after the treatment and is now fine, although she is bottom of the pecking order which I presume was because she was weak in the early days.

Im sure you already have had a good look for lice, but if not do, its amazing how this can get them down.

Fingers crossed for her.

Thanks Kajlbw, I did check the back of her neck for lice and there was no sign but I didn't check around her vent :doh: I did massage her vent earlier today with a warm, wet cloth and applied vaseline to the area and left her in a dark room in the cat carrier for about half and hour thinking she may be egg bound and I didn't spot any lice but then I wasn't really looking for them (and there was no egg at the end of it :( ).

The more I think about the way she is walking though (very slow, looks a bit uncomfortable), the more I think it may be an egg related issue but then, I'm no expert by a long shot. Think I'll be visiting the vets tomorrow if she's no better :(

Hi Claireabella,

I haven't had any egg related problems yet, mine only started laying a few weeks ago so I can't give any advice on that. Its horrible when you know there's something wrong but they can't tell you what! Hope you get her sorted out. Let me know how you get on. :)

Has she got a hot, swollen tummy? If not, I doubt its peritonitis.

It does sound like laying tackle problems though, maybe a softie on its way? Does she look like she's straining or pulsating round the fluffy bottom area? That and walking very slowly with a waddle is a sure sign that there's a softie brewing with my girls.

Or she could have a tummy infection, in which case you should pop her to the vets for some antibiotics to help clear it up.

A softie is normally resolved in hours though, not days, so if she's no better by tomorrow I'd take her anyway.

Well, I took Millie to the vets tonight as she was still not looking well. The vet felt her tummy and we both thought it was not peritonitis, no swelling present or hotness. The vet felt for an egg but said she couldn't feel anything egg shaped and an internal examination confirmed that there was no sign of an egg or any broken egg near her vent. She did however say that she could feel something that wasn't quite right but said she was probably too young for it to be a tumour and more likely a problem with her egg laying system.

The vet asked me to take her back tomorrow for a second opinion and to have some X-rays done but I've just gone out to check on her and she has passed away :cry: I feel so down about it, she was only 7 months old and such a beautiful girl, it just seems so unfair.

You already had a place in our hearts, RIP Millie x

Sorry to hear that Clairabella. We had one at 7 months with similar symptoms years ago but I hadn't a clue then so straight to the vets. We had noticed a golf ball size lump below her vent though. It was Lymphoid Lucosis, tumours throughout her body which were probably triggered by the hormones which started her laying said the vet. So, yes they can get tumours at that age and LL isn't infectious, but is often mis-diagnosed as Mareks which is.

Thanks for your replies. It really helps to talk to others who understand. It has come as such a shock to be honest because she was so young but I am thankful that it wasn't a long, drawn out illness. We lost Pepper in January to a mystery illness that went on for weeks and I know you will understand when I say I just don't have it in me at the moment to watch another girl go slowly downhill. I guess it could have been a tumour then Beantree or something gone wrong with her laying. She had just started to come into lay.

I didn't sleep well last night worrying about having to break the news to my kids this morning and worrying about Fleur who is now housed on her own. That's another problem I'll have to think about... :(

Hi

After writing the reply to your post I went out to see and my girl had gone back into the nest box. I really thought I was going to find her gone the next day. I dreaded opening them up, but when I did there she was bright as a button and she has been fine ever since. I think she was just having an off day. I have watched her closely since but she seems fine so far!

She has become the dominant hen, I think, and I am not really sure that the role is right for her. She is a better second hen. She really does calm all the hens down when they go in to roost.....I just wonder if the strain gets to her sometimes!!!

I don't know what I would have done if she hadn't made it through the night.

I am so attached to all of them

Flowerpot