chunkychick

Canker advice please!

Hi I noticed my speckled sussex was a bit quiet and gloomy looking over the last couple of days.

I managed to catch her today and have found she has canker in her mouth.

All the products I can buy online are for pigeons. Can anyone give me any advice from experience about which treament and dosage is best?

Gill

There are two types of Fungal Canker Chunkychick. The most common is treated with Flagyl from your vet. We have had success with this. The least common is treated with Nystan. The problem is when you realise that the Flagyl isn't working and switch, the canker has such a firm hold throughout the body that the treatment is ineffective, which is the problem we had. Vet told us testing the canker for type would take two weeks anyway, so best start on Flagyl.

Best of luck on this one. A preventative is chopped onion. However despite that we have a hen with cankers and it is only a matter of time for her now. She is happy enough at the moment.

Get some Flagyl from the vet Chunkychick as that's the common one anyway and easy to treat requiring one small dose a day. The amount of Nystan required is truly enormous and really stresses the bird. Time is of the essence as cankers can spread rapidly throughout the system to the point that treatment is futile. The underlying cause is a run down bird that has an impaired immune system. Simple reason may be a worm burden.

Hi,Update on chook.Bought a product called Gambakokzid on recom from local pigeon shop.

"Powder for administation in drinking water

Combination preparation for treatment of trichomoniasis and coccidiosis"

200g Amproliumhydrochlorid

30g Ronidazol

2g per litre of drinking water over a period of 6 days.

Cost under £5

He said to treat all my birds which I did.

I kept the sick bird in A&E (laundry room) and syringe fed her with critical care formula and the above solution.

After a few days I carefully removed the horrible smelly, cheesey plaque in her mouth with a cotton bud which came away with only a little bleed then applied Daktarin oral gel couple times a day.Still slight white raised area but she is eating again,mostly soft food,

Yesterday she couldn't wait to get back to her pals and is running around looking good.

Will keep checking her and feed her seperately to make sure she is getting enough.

If she was run down because of a worm burden I will dose her with Flubenvet in a few days.

Hope this treatment has worked.I think I trust a pigeon expert more than my local vet who admits he knows zero about poultry!I know he would probably charge at least £30 for the same powder as he charged me £17 for eye drops for my dog last month ,price on line? £3.49.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

I would hold off dosing her with Flubenvet just yet - worming meds are strong magic and only to be used on health birds. I would dose her with either Nutri-Drops, or a concentrated solution of a good poultry tonic such as Nettex's Vit+ Boost or Life-Guard in a wet mash of pellets and warm water.