Themadchicken

Red mites or lice???

1 hour ago, Themadchicken said:

I will clean and treat the coop as well. How often do I apply the Ivermection on the hens? and is it one drop or more? 

With the Ivermectin brand I use, it's done by the weight of the hen, although we managed to calculate that it worked out based on the breeds of hens we have, it took 3 drops per hen.

The one we use is this: https://www.chickenvet.co.uk/ivermectin-1-spot-on-drops-10ml

They also have the dosage guide here: 

On 9/8/2020 at 5:59 PM, Cat tails said:

I don’t use it, but @The Dogmother will have the answer.

Apologies... been massively busy!

Looks like Andy has posted the dosage instructions, but it depends on which concentration of Ivermectin you are using, so best do a search for the correct %. Spot on the skin at the back of the neck (so they can't reach to preen it) this should be repeated quarterly, and all birds must be treated. As you have an infestation, a chicken vet would recommend that you spray each bird which has lice with a spray containing Permethrin (not licenced for use on poultry in the UK) on the skin around the vent where you see the lice. This should be repeated at 3 day intervals until the lice have all hatched and gone.

NXP0663Total-Mite-Kill-SprayAerosol250ml1500px0720.jpg

You will also need to treat the housing to prevent a re-infestation from that source, instructions are in an article I wrote here . Once you have a preventative regime set up with the spot-on quarterly and then using the Total Mite Kill Products and Buz Busters Powder weekly, you shouldn't have a problem, but it always pays to be vigilant.

56 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Apologies... been massively busy!

Looks like Andy has posted the dosage instructions, but it depends on which concentration of Ivermectin you are using, so best do a search for the correct %. Spot on the skin at the back of the neck (so they can't reach to preen it) this should be repeated quarterly, and all birds must be treated. As you have an infestation, a chicken vet would recommend that you spray each bird which has lice with a spray containing Permethrin (not licenced for use on poultry in the UK) on the skin around the vent where you see the lice. This should be repeated at 3 day intervals until the lice have all hatched and gone.

NXP0663Total-Mite-Kill-SprayAerosol250ml1500px0720.jpg

You will also need to treat the housing to prevent a re-infestation from that source, instructions are in an article I wrote here . Once you have a preventative regime set up with the spot-on quarterly and then using the Total Mite Kill Products and Buz Busters Powder weekly, you shouldn't have a problem, but it always pays to be vigilant.

Thanks @The Dogmother I have ordered the Ivermectin spot-on, the total mite kill products and the buz buster powder. I didn’t realise that I also need the total mite spray. Can I use the spray with the spot-on together or would it be best to spray first and repeating it until all lice have gone and then use the spot-on?