One of our hens (dont know which one) is laying shell less eggs.

We werent too worried to start with but now it is happening regularly - any ideas please ??

Wondering if it was one of the ex-bats they are coming to the end of their laying life ??

They are all looking fit and healthy and none of them are off their food

Thanks in advance

You could be right Paulad. But one thing to consider is the amount of Calcium in their feed. Layers pellets need a minimum of 3% but ex-bats may need more. The Calcium doesn't transfer from the food to the shell directly, it is first stored in their bones and then migrates the the shell coating mechanism using vitamin D as one of the transfer agents. When they arrived their bone Calcium may be depleted and with insufficient in the feed, old age and lack of sunlight (sunlight creates vitamin D) over Winter you may have thin shell eggs. Worth trying a vitamin supplement and checking your feed Calcium levels, perhaps giving the hen a booster, before deciding she is 'past it'.

Two and a half is old for a hybrid only designed to live 18 months.

thanks guys - i will check the calcium supplements out.

They have grit and we buy a good quality feed but will check the calcuim content in it

As long as they are healthy and happy thats fine with me - i dont care if they lay or not i just dont want them to be in pain or suffering in any way

They do seem perfectly fine so its all good : )

thank you