motherhen

Seriously 'off-topic' topic

I'll be brief because this is nothing to do with hens. If anyone wants to do me a huge favour could you check out a couple of things in your local betting shop. Details are on www.rega.org.uk.

Awful illegal things going on in north east and I'm emailing friends and family round the country to find out how widespread it is and then I thought of you guys........ :D:D:D

Please spread the word to all your email contacts.

Jane

Thank you for that - it is interesting to be able to find out more about this problem.

I can certainly help with part of the comliance checking in that there is the requirement to display the minimum age details conspicuously near the Entrance.

I walk past two Betting Shops on my way to work so will do that for you. I will also ask around re checking inside but off-hand I don't know anyone who goes into Betting Shops!

Good Luck with this

Lesley

:shock: Jane went to 2 Bookies today ... no big deal for me, I've been in Prison before :shock::lol: .

North West ... Macclesfield.

OAKFIELD, (Earlsway) on the Weston Estate :arrow: had no signs ANYWHERE outside or in that I could see stating the 18's thing. Also not too sure about the FOBT .. but they had a few Roulette machines etc in the premises.

CORAL ... at Broken Cross, Macclesfield. Again no posters re.age on outside, in windows or inside that I could see. Also, same sort of betting machines inside, and nicer than Oakfield as not Smoky and had coffee facilities on the desk :wink: , not sure if you had to be 18 to use these though :wink::lol::lol::lol:

Anyway .. hope this helps, let me know if you want me to go back, its Cheltenham Gold Cup soon is it not :lol::lol: .

It must be Sarah, judging by the accents to be heard in Stratford! And all the hotels are full. I don't know if it is this weekend or next - people seem to be making it a longer and longer holiday over here.
So basically, Jane needs me to go and do some more research :wink::lol::lol: . I used to go to Ayr Racecourse when I lived a few miles from there ... and bet on a "Grey" (apparently, they never win .. but if you look at the ratio of Bays to greys, then the odds are already against). Anyway, in a particular race before the Scottish National, I bet on a Grey, and won enough to cover the night out for me and 2 friends 8) .. taxi incuded :lol::lol::lol: . Still, that waa a while ago, and I have not backed a winner since .. not that I do back anything that often :oops::oops: .

Someone pass me a shovel ... I will carry on digging :roll:

I knew you guys would come up trumps - many thanks.

Yes roulette machines are fobts - they are known in the industry as the 'crack cocaine of gambling'! I'd never been inside a betting shop until this year - now I do about 2 dozen a week! Saturday is a good day for getting pictures of children inside them.

Forgot to warn you only to wear machine washable clothes because of the smoke - feel very sorry for the people who work in these places.

Please don't any of you try out the products - not unless there is a hen race to bet on :D

? Prison?? - I've been arrested in the past but got away with a caution - only problem is I'll now need a visa to go to USA. :evil:

:roll:

Forgot to warn you only to wear machine washable clothes because of the smoke - feel very sorry for the people who work in these places.
I only went in and out of the shops, this 1st really stank, the 2nd was ok.

:shock: I thought the Roulette machines were what you meant by fobts. I would have thought these would be really bad for "betting Buzz" especially the 50/50 chance on red or black :wink: .

I went in on Friday afternoon .. when most kids "should" be at school .. the shops were not busy, just the odd builder looking bloke. Though I should imagine younger clientele being drawn in. I thought the windows were also supposed to be fully blanked, so as not to "draw" people in :?: .

Jane I went into Knutsford yesterday and Stanley betting had a clear sign by the front door showing no entry for under eighteens. Inside there were 2 gambling machines but again it said no under eighteens on them and there wern't any children inside just 3 sad looking men......... :lol:

Good luck with your campaign keep us updated....

Jane - another one.

Ladbroke, Mansell Street, Stratford upon Avon

Wednesday 16 March, 10.30 am, i walked past, the door to the front was open and there was another door off to the side which was closed. This door had a small red circle with 18 and a line through it - only about 2" in diameter. Not very obvious. The window was blanked and had nothing on it at all - probably because it is in a residential street. I didn't look inside.

Thanks for the info guys - it will be added to the report i'm doing to coincide with the publishing of some important research on fobts in April.

We drove to Cambridge yesterday to pick up son's bits - he's coming home on the train next week after a weekend away with the Church he goes to down there. Couldn't miss the opportunity so checked out 4 bookies in Cambridge (found 2 breaking the law) and did 'tiny' detours to other places back up the A1. Took so long to drive home, OH very patient fortunately, that had a phone call from poor son who was wondering if we had broken down or something. :oops:

Hi Jane,

I haven't been able to get into town for the last week because the fair was here - no parking as a result :evil: .

Anyway, we had a look yesterday. We have one bookies down the High Street in Stamford and we couldn't see any signs outside the shop, on the door or windows saying no under 18s. The windows aren't blocked out anymore either so you can see straight in. We didn't go in but got some funny looks from a big guy standing in the doorway - maybe he was there to throw out the under 18s.

Sorry I couldn't find out more but OH wouldn't go inside!

If we go down town again today, I'll try and have a better look if OH will let me go in!!

Jane,

There is a Ladbroke's right in the centre of town in St.Albans. (A city where the council is very strict on not allowing gambling arcades to start here)

Its very modern looking...completely glass fronted with Cafe wriitten on 2 walls of glass on left corner. It could almost be mistaken for a cafe from that angle and often has a couple of window tables taken up by "pensioners" drinking coffee (& quite possibly waiting for buses..the main stops are just outside).

The entrance is front, centre & has automatic opening doors. When I looked, it was a warm day & they were set fully open. Small, round, red over 18's sign was on doors, but not seen at first glance with doors open...would be unmissable when shut.

However, on the right hand side there was a large, very visible Ladbroke's notice...informing that it was strictly over 18's & please help them by not letting anyone under age enter the premises. Very good signage.

Have passed many times & never seen under 18's. Being a strict town centre, I'm sure they wouldn't risk it.

Haven't been in, so don't know about machines....most customers seem to go & place bets & come out, and a few playing visible machines.

Funny really, I wouldn't mind going in as it doesn't look at all seedy....the blocked out windows old fashioned ones I've always assumed to be dens of iniquity...& would have been far too embarrassed to even open the door of one.

So, double edged sword here...new style very consumer friendly...much broader customer base..and therefore deceptively safe-looking, compared to old sort looking fit only for hardened gamblers?

It must bring in more people, but in that one they are abiding by the rules.

PS. Father would never tell me what a turf accountant was....I thought there must be an awful lot of people wanting new grass for their lawns.

:shock: ooohhh ..... did not even have to go into the shop today, bet on-line :shock::shock::shock: . Don't panic I'm closing the account down again once my WINNINGS have been paid .. 10-1 odds on Hedgehunter this morning, and yep he WON!!!!!.

Don't panic Jane .. I am not repeating the exercise till the same time next year :wink: .

:oops: I bet on Forest Gunner too, but was glad Hedgey won, as I backed him last year and he fell at the last :roll: . Have just withdrawn the winnings from Ladbrokes, and will close the account, once I have checked alls correct in my bank account :wink: .

Jane ... honest we are not in need of help. :P

:shock::lol: The best ... I bet on Hedgehunter last year .. so getting 10-1 odds on this year was good going to start with. I shouted at him not to fall at the last (like last year ) and then continued with "run, run ... go on" echoed by my 5 yr old :!: . Ben was only interested with what he would get from my winnings, and this was far more exciting than Charles and Camillas wedding :wink::lol::lol: .