Blackrocksrock

Last of the original 3 chickens gone

I had to put to sleep the last of the 3 first black rock chickens I got and she would have been 7 in August - she laid until last week - albeit smaller eggs but she still laid - went off colour and just lay about not eating and looking not great - I decided just to put her to sleep yesterday and she had nothing at all in her crop and there was no fight left in her - I felt bad but she is at peace now - and so now I am left with the one I bought to replace the one who died in March time so I would not have 1 on its own and now I am back to square 1 - do I buy more, keep her alone or rehome her? Not sure what to do.

You must have been an eggcellent chicken mum to have her live to such a ripe old age - but you did the right thing in having her PTS as it sounds as if the time was right for her to go. I'd get another two now, as in a similar position we found it relatively easy to introduce to new ones to our lone surviving chook. We divided up the WIR and let Daisy free-range whilst the others were kept inside in her sight for a couple of days (popping Daisy in the Eglu after the newbies had gone to sleep). Then we let them all free-range (supervised) together so that after about 4 days we could leave them all together with only very minor pecks from Daisy. The two newbies quickly learnt to duck round her when necessary. Oh and multiple feeding and water options so no-one could guard everything at once!

Well I bought the Amber star chicken - have had to dig out the chicken netting again to limit the range as mine normally have the whole garden - there has been some pecking by Hettie the resident hen but things are settling down and when the new one got out the fence we did not have too much trouble putting her back in and she has been going in and out of the eglu run no bother so here's hoping it settles down shortly - there usually is a couple of days s"Ooops, word censored!" and that will be it.