cloud

Wheezy young hen

One of our new hens has developed a cough and is a little wheezy and snotty after we brought her home yesterday. I can't hear any crackle from her chest when I press my ear against her back, just her little heartbeat and some crackles/gurgles from her throat/nose.

She is clearly under the weather as she's now not eating much, although drinking a little. We have given her some poultry tonic via a pipette and popped her in a shoebox where she's been snoozing for a little while. Now starting to look a little more alert and fidgety but no great desire to leave the box.

Now I'm unsure what to do next. Should we pop her back with the other two new hens, one of which has been a little beastly and pecks her from time to time, in the hope she recovers by herself and she needs to be bonding with the other hens. Or do we isolate her tonight and get her to the vet tomorrow and then have the problem of re-introducing her to the the other hens?

I'm no expert, but if she were mine I'd take her to the vet tomorrow.

I always tell myself that I am no vet and that they would be able to tell me that they are fine which is what I'd rather hear.

She may have a chest infection, in which case the vet would give her antibiotics.

Sometimes they give you medicine that they can all have and therefore you wouldn't need to separate her, other times they give the hen individual medicine and she can still stay in the group. It really does depend what she has.

I'm sure someone else may give more advice but let us know how you get on.

Luvachicken, I'm thinking the same about the vet giving me a more accurate diagnosis. I'm just worried I'm overreacting and a trip to the vet will add lots more stress which could have been the trigger for the problem to start with.

She did perk up a little after my post yesterday and was watching us from the shoe box. Then before we know it she was wondering off. So we decided to pop here back in the coop. She took a bit of catching - which was encouraging. She went straight to bed in the Eglu followed not long behind by the other girls (probable due to the wind and rain).

This morning she was first out and is nibbling the grass and drinking. Doesn't seem to want the growers pellets - not even the 'special' ones by the Eglu door so she didn't need to eat with the others :? I'm worried that she's only eating grass, but pleased she's more active. She was eating the pellets the first day, so I'm hoping it's just like humans sometimes only wanting toast when recovering from a cold (or is that just me?).

I think at the moment it's best to see if this is an upward trend, but If she goes back to the Eglu for a sleep I'll have another listen for crackles.

Has anyone suggestions as to how to encourage her to eat more?

Have you made some of the pellets into a porridge type mixture and perhaps add a few treats to it to tempt her. Mine always gobble up the porridge mixture.

Chrissie

I've made her some porrage from the growers pellets with added fresh garlic, apple, crushed mealworms and a little grit

Had to make two lots as the other girls also like it and seen to prefer to eat from which ever bowl she's at. Although she's eating, she's having to run between the two bowls. Also, I fear she's just going for the apple. I know she likes apple as she was eating it from my hand on the first day when the other would not come near.

She seems to have some courage. Even now she's still pinching apple with quick lunges under the beaks of the others.

I've not heard her cough today, perhaps the odd snort but not the raucous ones we had yesterday. So, I hope my problem has changed from getting her well to now getting her to eat. One of the new girl in particular seems out to get her, although she's now fast enough to mostly get out the way before the peck lands.

Unfortunately putting then all in with our two older hens might not be a good plan as One is broody and the other is getting rather annoyed a her.

Is two days too short to be thinking of letting then free range together? And would it even help? Have to think about what good for them all not just this one - which I think we maybe calling Izzy

Edited by Guest

It does seem like she is feeling a bit better today then so that's good.

I always tend to panic a bit for a day or so and then take them anyway. Hubby always says I worry too much over them but most times I've taken them they have been poorly and needed medicine.

You say you only got the new ones a couple of days ago ?

I think I would leave mixing them together for a good few weeks in case they have something they could give your original girls - whether it be germs or mites etc. At least that way the new one that is not feeling her best, can build up her strength before she might need to deal with any bullying behaviour, and if she is poorly she won't pass it on either.

Hope she keeps getting better :D

It does seem like she is feeling a bit better today then so that's good.

She's been improving throughout today. Purplemaniacs suggestion of porridge with tidbits was a really good idea as it got her eating and now she eating the growers pellets again.

I always tend to panic a bit for a day or so and then take them anyway. Hubby always says I worry too much over them but most times I've taken them they have been poorly and needed medicine.

I'm all for trusting instincts, doesn't stop the worrying and self doubt though. Sounds like your instincts have been spot-on.

You say you only got the new ones a couple of days ago ?

Yes, we have three new girls. Tried for similarly sized, but we wanted specific breeds, so could not match as well as we would have liked. This is the first time introducing new hens so learning a lot.

I think I would leave mixing them together for a good few weeks in case they have something they could give your original girls - whether it be germs or mites etc. At least that way the new one that is not feeling her best, can build up her strength before she might need to deal with any bullying behaviour, and if she is poorly she won't pass it on either.

Our aim was to keep then in separate runs for this week and then let them free range together next weekend when we can give them close supervision. I had assumed that would be long enough but this early problem with Izzy is making us re-think.

Hope she keeps getting better :D

So far, fingers crossed :shh:

Hi sounds like she has got stressed due to moving to a new home and being slightly bullied by one of the other girls were they all in the same pen where you got them from ? leanne :)

Izzy, and Naomi were together, but 'Goose', the bully, was separate. Goose is also a little older than the other two, and possibly feeling the odd one out, and that might be stressing her too.

Izzy seem happier now, but still a little hesitant. The pecking seems to be dropping off and she's eating. Naomi and Izzy get on well. Naomi and Goose get on okay - these two had a staring contest on the first day that ended in some 'mutual understanding'.

Now five days in, although we still worry about Izzy, we seem to be making good progress. I only hope Izzy get her confidence back.