cloud

Food hogging

Now we have the our two young hens in with the two oldies there is a clear hogging of the food by the oldies. We have two grubs in the run but which ever one the young girls try to eat from the oldies come and take over.

This is only there second day in the run together, but they've been free ranging together for weeks. Is behaviour something that will fade out and if so how long could we expect it to keep going for before we need to consider new arrangements?

that's typical behaviour from the older girls it'll settle down as the youngsters get settled in and the older ones accept that the youngsters are part the flock, it's all part of the pecking order through with feeding it doesn't go completely it can appear at times of stress or when there's something nice to eat on offer but it's not anything to worry about 99% of the time

It's the first time we've introduced hens, so learning as we go. Good to know it is typical behaviour. Next week they'll have to spend quite some time together while we are at work, so hopefully it will ebb, if not go away entirely.

Then we have the two newbies to introduce in a few weeks time. They're currently in quarantine. However, they can stay in the Eglu by themselves, if they want to.

Not long after we put all ours in together we went away for a week so they were all shut in the Eglu 3m run with no FR time for a week. When we got back they were much more harmonious than when we left.

That's what we're hoping. After 5 days of internment it would be nice to have a single flock.

It was noticeable today that the the two young ones were keeping their distance from Coco, but as soon as Siouxsie was back out after laying they ran from the other end of the garden to join her, and even tolerated Coco. Pity Coco can't tolerate them and chases them aways if they get a little too close.

If you are concerned that your new girlies wont get to the food because of the oldies, then I would suggest adding more feeders than there are chickens. So if you have 4 hens, put out 5 feeders. They dont have to be proper Grubs or hen feeders, a weighted yoghurt pot with pellets or mash in will do. Place around the run so that the oldies cant police all 5 at once, that way there will always be a feeder free for your newbies.

They take a while to love each other but as long as there isnt overcrowding in the run, they will be fine. :D

Getting yet another feeder in the run itself is probably a good idea as. Unfortunately . at the moment he new girls have taken to hiding in the coop. They are all getting about 40 minutes of free ranging when OH gets home, but it getting dark quite quickly now. The new girls get some food then.

It could be that they come out to feed during the day. Most likely time would be when Coco goes in to lay, but that's when we are at work, so we con't monitor. I'm wondering if we should put some food and water in the coop itself.

They are now all sleeping in a line on the single perch in the coop, so that feels like that's some progress. Earlier in the week only the old girl were on the perch.

I wouldn't put food and water in the coop partly because that'll just encourage them to stay inside even more but you run the risk of the water getting spilt and making the bedding wet which you don't want it'll be getting damp as it is at the moment with all this rain

the fact that they are happy to sleep next to each other is good

I wouldn't be surprised if your new girls come out and get food when you're at work. There's definitely more aggro between mine when they know I'm there (as opposed to when I'm watching them from the upstairs window and they don't know I'm home). My theory is that when I'm there they think there could be treats so the big girls want to keep the little girls well and truly in their place.

Okay, no food and water in the coop. Instead I'll just try more feeding and watering stations.

The bad weather, especially the early mist is probably not encouraging them the get up with alacrity in the mornings. I do hope they do get out in the little sunshine when we get it.