Orangediva

Omlet WIR questions... and hello

Hi from a prospective new chicken keeper in the Midlands. I have been doing my research on this and other sites and have decided on a Cube with the standard run attached to a 2m x 2m Omlet walk in run for 2-4 chickens (haven't decided whether it's 2, 3 or 4 yet). I'm planning to use wood chip on a membrane base (as on the Newlands site). Does this sound ok? I'm also planning on letting them out into part of the garden when I'm at home to keep an eye on them. It's a pretty expensive set up so I want to get it right if I can!

I'm definitely covering the roof of the cube run and the walk in run but am wondering if I'll need to cover the sides too? Any tips on doing this without wrecking the ventilation in the run?

I'm rubbish at building stuff so I think I'll be booking the Omlet man to set things up for me as I'm in the area they deliver to - does anyone know how long after booking the wait for set up usually is. I have emailed Omlet but no reply as yet, meant to ring them today but was busy clearing the area where the run is hopefully going to go and I forgot.

Sorry for all the questions!

Hi I have a (cube green) with 3mtr run attached to a WIR. I put a door in the side of the (cube green) run to make access easier but you won't have to as it will be shorter. Although my WIR isn't an omlet one as I couldnt afford one. :roll: my WIR and (cube green) run is covered in clear tarpauline I got mine from Tarplaflex http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/glass-clear-pvc-tarpaulins.html. The top of my WIR peaked and covered always. The back is covered with bark screening, the front open. The (cube green) run is covered at the top during the summer and rolled down in the winter. It stays remarkably dry. :D My girls also FR. :D hope this helps. :wink:

Thanks for the reply Chicken shack - the Tarpaflex covers look fantastic, I have bookmarked the site. My run will be up against a row of overhanging evergreen trees and fence along one side so perhaps I could use the 2m x 4.6m over the roof and down the exposed side only? I like the idea of having one I can roll up when the weather is warm.

I was looking at your photos (hope you don't mind?) your run looks fantastic - it's massive - wow!

Must remember to phone Omlet tomorrow to find out when I can have delivery/set up .......or should I just go ahead and order?? Hmmmm decisions decisions!

Thanks for the reply Chicken shack - the Tarpaflex covers look fantastic, I have bookmarked the site. My run will be up against a row of overhanging evergreen trees and fence along one side so perhaps I could use the 2m x 4.6m over the roof and down the exposed side only? I like the idea of having one I can roll up when the weather is warm.

I was looking at your photos (hope you don't mind?) your run looks fantastic - it's massive - wow!

Must remember to phone Omlet tomorrow to find out when I can have delivery/set up .......or should I just go ahead and order?? Hmmmm decisions decisions!

Go ahead and order :!: You know it makes sense :!::lol: The company was out of stock of the clear tarpauline in the size I needed for the WIR so I got green. The clear tarpauline on the (cube green) I've had since 2010 and is still doing a good job. I bought some clear for the (green eglu) run for my bantams. It's very strong. :D I don't mind you looking at my photo link, I have forgotten how to add photos on here! :roll:

Well I was about to hit the order button - but just couldn't bring myself to do it without knowing the timescale for set up so I had a little look at alternative Omlet sellers and found (actually rediscovered as I've bought stuff from there before) Staffordshire Chickens. They do a starter pack which includes 3 hybrid hens of your choice and the Cube/run/WIR plus feed etc - and I could pick it all up later this week! The snag is I'd have to build it all myself so would have to go back for the hens once I'm set up.

Just how hard is Omlet stuff to build? I'm guessing the WIR is the most difficult? I might be able to sweet talk/bribe my son to help with the run. I'm off work weds to fri this week and all next week so if I could buy from Staffordshire Chickens now would be the time. Oh yet more decisions!

Hello all! Over the last two days my wonderful gardener has built a base for my walk in run and built it. He said it was pretty easy to construct, once he had worked out the layers and which bit was which and he said the clips were fiddly, but he has got big hands....

Here it is! I am SO excited.

The tarpaulin sounds fantastic, so I'll be looking into that!

th_imagejpg1.jpg

Well I was about to hit the order button - but just couldn't bring myself to do it without knowing the timescale for set up so I had a little look at alternative Omlet sellers and found (actually rediscovered as I've bought stuff from there before) Staffordshire Chickens. They do a starter pack which includes 3 hybrid hens of your choice and the Cube/run/WIR plus feed etc - and I could pick it all up later this week! The snag is I'd have to build it all myself so would have to go back for the hens once I'm set up.

Just how hard is Omlet stuff to build? I'm guessing the WIR is the most difficult? I might be able to sweet talk/bribe my son to help with the run. I'm off work weds to fri this week and all next week so if I could buy from Staffordshire Chickens now would be the time. Oh yet more decisions!

I had my initial (cube green) and run put together by the man from omlet, not the man from uncle :!::lol: I added further lengths of run myself. When we moved in 2011 the (cube green) and run had to be dismantled and reassembled by my son and son-in-law. I bought another door and addapted it to fit the side of the run. I built the WIR with only a minimal amount of help and it took me about a week. The hardest part was covering it with the wire as it was stiff and also cut my hand. :roll: I would think it would be much easier to build the omlet WIR. :D I'd give yourself a 5 day window and take your time and enjoy doing it. :D Enrol others to help you with the tricky bits. :D

Hello all! Over the last two days my wonderful gardener has built a base for my walk in run and built it. He said it was pretty easy to construct, once he had worked out the layers and which bit was which and he said the clips were fiddly, but he has got big hands....

Here it is! I am SO excited.

The tarpaulin sounds fantastic, so I'll be looking into that!

th_imagejpg1.jpg

Looks great AnnieP :)

Hi AnnieP. Are your slabs on sand?

Hello! Yes! We have also nailed wooden kick boards to the outside, on top of the skirts to stop the chooks from kicking too much of the bark chippings out, which we plan to line the floor with. We are still tossing up whether it should be bark chippings or Aubiose on the ground. When I last had chooks, (in a cube and run with extensions), it was on grass, (read mud), but we had lots of land and were able to just move it around. Now we only have a postage stamp of a garden, I want it to look fairly smart, so figured this is the answer. I will post pictures when we hVe reached the next stage.

AnnieP my WIR (not Omlet) is on slabs I have tried all sorts of straw and horsey bedding products but now have settled on easichick as I find it keeps the odours down, does not blow around and dries out well when damp.

I buy mine from Kennelgate but the easichick website can advise where your closest supplier is.

A bale of straw keeps my girls amused for ages but it stinks when wet.

Have decided initially on hardwood chippings, so will give them a try and see what happens. Ordered them from Flytesofancy, they aren't cheap, but I reckon if they last around 4/5 months, it will be about the same as buying bales of Aubiose anyway. SO excited to get it all made pretty and then watch my new girls trash it within hours! :lol:

Just thought I'd better update this thread - because I changed/postponed my plans somewhat!!

I decided to hold off for a couple of months re the chickens and improve on life for my (black white rabbit) and (ginger rabbit) first - their run is old, old, old (belonged to my GPs for 7 years) and, though they live/sleep in the kitchen and free range in there during winter, they do love being outside - and I can feel spring is round the corner - yay! They are very young but they might want to sleep outside in summer and Omlet seems the safe way to go.

This doesn't mean I don't need Omlet/WIR advice though ...........because I've bought the bunnies a (green eglu) with 2m run.....plus a full height 2m x 2M WIR, same as I plan to get the chickens (though I might now get the half height one for the chooks).

I would think it would be much easier to build the omlet WIR. :D I'd give yourself a 5 day window and take your time and enjoy doing it. :D Enrol others to help you with the tricky bits. :D

Hope you are right - my son and I are building the WIR on Monday. I did the rabbit (green eglu) and run myself and (apart from sore fingers from the clips) it was pretty easy. They've had a go in it today and seemed to really like it - can't wait to see them in the WIR! I've got bunting for it (fairy lights are a great idea too) and I've got those clear Tarpaflex covers for the roof and the most exposed corner.

At least when it's built I'll know I can build one for the chickens!

Thanks for all the tips and advice/pictures :)

I'm rubbish at building stuff so I think I'll be booking the Omlet man to set things up for me

Well I definitely should have listened to myself - I am rubbish at building things - especially Omlet walk in runs :doh:

It's up - and that's something I didn't think I'd be saying this afternoon after about 3 hours of building (with my long suffering - he says - 17 year old son) when we realised we'd done all the pole clips wrong and had to undo them all. My fingers are raw and have been bleeding in several places. It took us almost 5 and a half hours - and it's not even completely finished yet. The sad thing is that, now we know what we are doing, we could probably build another one in a couple of hours! It's just so easy when you know what you are doing :lol:

Anyway it's lovely, I'm really impressed with the (almost) finished article. I just need to finish attaching the skirting and peg it all down plus set up all our bunny tunnels and toys .....and the fairy lights!