sparkysmum

Vegetarian Cookery books recommendation

My diet and that of OH is largely vegetarian plus fish. However we tend to fall back on the same favourites and would like to expand my main course repertoire for variety. I have a few cook books eg "vegtarian meals in minutes" but no favourites. I was thinking of buying Mary McCartneys latest but wondered what favs other people had before I coughed up £20. Had a look at Hugh FW River Cottage Veg Every Day, any thoughts?

Love to hear from you! Ax

The River Cottage Veg Everyday and Rose Elliots Complete Vegetarian Cookbook are my two faves. The RC one has loads of variety of tasty and fairly quick options, whilst the Rose Elliot is the bible of veggie cooking, literally hundreds of recipes which sound simple but taste heavenly!

I'd say these two are great for everyday cooking, for something a bit more special the Yotam Ottolenghi books Plenty and Plenty More are fantastic and oh so tasty. I love veggie food! :oops::lol:

HFW is great but also love Rose Elliott and Ottlenghi. Also love Celia Brooks and Nigel Slater and of course Delia does very good veggie recipes (particularly love Delias mushroom risotto which Is baked in the oven sooo easy ; she does a spring veg one too with mint which is also yum). I also have two very old falling apart recipe books from the eighties called "The moosewood cookbook" and "the enchanted broccoli forest" which I bought in the states and I love, the key thing is they must have a majority of main course savouries I absolutely hate books/magazines that promise vegetarian recipes and are full of desserts (take note BBC Good Food Vegetarian Specials !)

Too many vegetarian recipes don't seem very well balanced food group wise. It is great to eat more vegetables but we still need protein. It seems that if you are vegetarian which I am not, you are expected just to eat side dishes, this would frustrate me. I try to eat a couple of vegetarian dishes each week and even at that level I struggle to find balanced meals that aren't just made up with cheese.

I try to eat a couple of vegetarian dishes each week and even at that level I struggle to find

balanced meals that aren't just made up with cheese.

I completely agree!

I try to include one vegetarian dinner each week, and to get it past the husband it has to live up to certain standards!

I love Pleanty but I do tend to do most of those recipes as starters or side dishes. Deliciously Ella is a good book for more balanced meals. Dale Pinnocks, the medicinal chef, are mainly vegeterian with some fish thrown in.