Charlottechicken Posted July 29, 2015 Share Posted July 29, 2015 Thought it would be fun to start a charity shop thread, as we all know there's no greener way of getting clothing or household items than re-using someone else's cast offs! As I posted on the what have you all been making thread, I now sometimes purchase items to turn them into something else to wear, I'm a fan of refashioning and follow a few bloggers who do this. Most of my clothing and footwear is second hand, and a lot of it is bought for a pound or less. I also buy items to give as gifts from the local charity shops, although I usually have a good idea that the recipient will be OK with this! I bought this scarf the other day, I thought it was fake but it had nice hand stitched and rolled edges. It is real and from around 1972, and there is a cigarette sized hole in one corner, but I don't care because no-one can see it! It cost £1.99, one reason why I nearly left it in the shop, I don't like paying more than a pound! I've had countless leather bags and lovely items from charity shops over the years and would love to see your bargains too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 29, 2015 Share Posted July 29, 2015 Blimey, a Hermes scarf for £1.99, that's brilliant! I bought an ivory coloured pashmina in a charity shop in Stratford for £2; great bargain as I use it a lot. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted July 29, 2015 Share Posted July 29, 2015 We don't get much at those prices down here! I do buy from charity shops but I'd struggle to get anything for £1 - most clothing items are £3 and upwards. I did get a brand new John Lewis pressure cooker for £5 from an animal charity stall at a country fair though. It still had the receipt for £75 inside, it had never been used. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 29, 2015 Share Posted July 29, 2015 That reminds me, I once picked up a Burleigh plate at a village fete fro 50p! I kept it, but they sell on ebay for around £30. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted July 30, 2015 Author Share Posted July 30, 2015 Ooh, some great bargains there! DM, that pashmina sounds lovely, they are generously sized too so that was a good price. I follow a blogger who has turned a few charity shopped pashminas into gorgeous t shirt style tops, they look fab too. Is Burleigh ware that blue and white crockery? Lovely stuff! Olly, I think you had yourself a great deal on that pressure cooker, good find Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 30, 2015 Share Posted July 30, 2015 Yes, this one I recognised it because I have two of the storage jars (presents) at home. I keep the pashmina at work as it often gets chilly, and it looks nice enough for work. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jasperaliceuk Posted August 1, 2015 Share Posted August 1, 2015 I volunteer in a charity shop - just love the work. My most recent bargain was a Bundt tin - reckon it may have been 15 years old, still in the box, but hardly looked used - so I have now made my very first Bundt cake! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted August 1, 2015 Share Posted August 1, 2015 Ooh, yum! I've got one of those, time I used it again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted September 19, 2015 Share Posted September 19, 2015 We have bought done great things over the years. Most of my clothes come from charity shops, the prices are much higher here, minimum £3 but more often £5 plus. I bought a lovely John Lewis merino wool jumper from a charity shop in St Andrews last week for £5.99, worn once and washed by the look of it, it is so warm for a light jumper Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted September 20, 2015 Author Share Posted September 20, 2015 Ooh, I love that cake tin! Yesterday I managed to find a fine knit Joe Browns long jumper for £1 and a 100ml bottle of Bamford shampoo for 50p. Never heard of Bamford toiletries but googled them and they are ridiculously expensive Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...