sparkysmum

NIE number. Any info appreciated

My lovely son Anthony still doesnt know what he wants to do ( he's only 20 afterall :lol: ) so is going to travel / work abroad for a while . First stop Ibiza. He has just discovered that he needs a NIE number to work in Spain, mainland or island. I think think has something to do with Spanish tax authorities. Anyway my question is this, does anyone know how to obtain a NIE number quickly. Apparently it takes about two weeks but Ant would like to somehow shortcut this so he can leave sooner!

He would love to hear from Omleteers who can point him in the right direction. Thank you :!: Ax

I did it in an hour but I had access to a dodgy lawyer and a corrupt official it cost 100 Euros!!! :lol:

Try asking in letting agents for a contact. You need to fill in the form get photos taken go to the local office and hand it over if you can get access to an amiable official they will put your application on the top of the list and do it immediately depending on how busy the office is they can turn it around in about 30 minutes but you do need to have a contact. Mine was on mainland so not much use in Ibiza!!!

I've never even heard of an NIE number :lol: .

Have you been on this website? http://www.europamortgages.com/spanish-nie-numbers.htm

I don't know if this is a way to do it quickly or not but there's a Spanish consulate in Edinburgh.

Scotland or the Scottish Islands , please apply to:

The Spanish Consulate General, 63 North Castle Street , Edinburgh , EH2 3LJ . Tel: 0131 220 1843

Thank you Louise and ANH! Going via the consulate in Edinburgh takes about 2 wks but I am thinking that if he had a start date maybe with a bit of persuasion hey could do it quicker.

Ant is impatient to go and is messaging someone just now about a flat in Ibiza. He has money to get him started luckily. Maybe he should go and then try to find a dodgy official ! Will let you know what he does. Oh to have the carefree sponteineity of youth!

Did you have a good time abroad Louise?

Not really was taking over responsibility for my parents rental property as my dad was at that point very sick and Spanish tax rules are harsh so needed to get bank account etc sorted and pronto before dad died hence the reason the letting agent put me in touch with bods that know how to manipulate the system. Spain is very corrupt so if you know the right people it can be done easily still a lot of black money to be made!!!

Hope your son has a fab summer 8)

I live in Ibiza (it's a stunning place and nothing like what you see on the TV). I'm very impressed that in the height of summer he can get a NIE in 2 weeks! You can pay a fortune for a gestoria to do it for you and get in done in about week but it's probably not worth it. If you want the name/number of the person my friend used PM me and I'll ask for you.

What does he want to do out there? Accommodation is proving to be very expensive and difficult to find this summer so it may take it 2-3 weeks to get sorted with that so his NIE may come at just the right time.

If you have other questions about Ibiza or I can help in any way please just ask!

EDIT: I think he may need an address in Ibiza to get his NIE, I did but I applied for Residencia at the same time and did it in Spain. To be honest applying from the UK may be easier unless he knows Spanish and I'm guessing the embassy in the UK is quieter than the police station in Ibiza town!

Hello lizinsa, thank you so much for replying :D I will pass all that you have said onto Ant. He is talking about getting accommodation in workers flats and has been offered flats at about £325/month. He thinks that he will be able to secure work once he is out there. I'll let you know what he does. :D Ax