Sheilaz

Dogs, what do I do?

Hello Omleteers, I need some advice please.

I like dogs but don't have much experience of interacting with them.

I'm meeting a friend with her 10 month old Labrador and I have no idea how to behave when I meet a dog!

I want to be at ease and friendly without making the dog over excited or agitated. I don't know anything, talk, look directly, crouch, stand, pat, stroke, ignore: I'm totally clueless!

Do I greet my friend or the dog first?

Please talk me through how to say hello to this dog, and also any dog, I've never known!

This may seem barmy if you love dogs, but I always feel awkward, I'm determined to get it learn!

Swift answers appreciated, thanks fount of all knowledge!

I agree. Totally ignore the dog when you come in. Avoid eye contact and dont fuss it at all. Even if it is all cute and you just want to say hello! Greet your friend as you normally would pre dog, and when the dog is calm and comes to say hello, then let it smell your hand and make sure your hand goes under the chin not over the top of its head. Thats more likely to make it jump up. Just be relaxed and enjoy the puppy experience :D

Thank you so much both of you, I feel more confident knowing those tips.

What's the next stage, when the dog knows you.

Do people judge others if they don't hug and fuss over there dog, or is calm always ok?

Will they think I don't like their dog if I don't fuss and hug it?

Feeling judged, lol!

Don't try and hug the dog! Dogs don't like it, especially from people they don't know. Some tolerate it from their owners. We hug our dog, but I always keep and eye on her to make sure she is okay with it.

To be honest, I would much prefer it if when people came to visit they just ignored our dog as she is a right loon! Calm fussing is always the best way. Your friend won't be offended and will prob be greatful you have tried to find out how best to deal with this :D

Thanks so much! I've always wondered about this, other dog owners are so natural about it.

It's a bit like toddlers really, no parent wants their child wound up, but a calm greeting, a gentle interest and plenty of verbal compliments to the parents.

I'm looking forward to it now, thanks!

Omleteers are amazing, I don't have to ask this idiot question on FB now!

Its only what I have learnt from getting my dog. I wasn't ever really comfortable with them and my aunt had springers which two snapped at my face when I was younger. I've realised thats because I was too close to them. My dog is my first one and I have read so much about it, its not come naturally at all. I'm still not comfortable with larger dogs, and certain breeds, but I am working on it :)

The advice from PL and the others is spot on; one of my dogs is very friendly, and I always advise folks to ignore her until she is sat down :D she knows the rules, but can get a tad over-excited at times, especially when fussed.

Quite a few friends have puppies at the moment, so I avoid any eye contact with the pup until I have greeted the owner first, then I back away a bit and ask the pup to sit, if it isn't already. As Karin has said, greet it slowly, and if it is jumpy, then slide your hand under its chin and hook your thumb through the collar so that it can't jump up.

Enjoy the puppy Sheila, and lovely to hear from you again xxx

Thanks Clare, for the greeting and really good advice.

Thank you everyone, the meeting was successful!

Beautiful dog, and all went well.

I felt very relaxed thanks to Omleteers and I completely forgot any anxieties I had before.

I'm so pleased I asked, thank you.