tinkkletoes

ACV or Not ACV for sour crop ???

Hi All My Black rock who a few months ago had to have an emergency impacted crop operation & was up to 2 days ago, back to being a normal healthy hen & was even laying again has managed to get herself a sour crop.

you can imagine my concern as her crop has grow bigger over two days, as i don't want to much pressure on her scar as to much could split her scar. :cry:

so to my question. i was searching this forum to see what other people has said and tried to sort out Sour crop. i did think that live yogart might help but reading more it was stated not to use but to 1. empty the crop as best you could. 2. starve for 24 hours. 3. give water with tonic. & 4. give 2ml of ACV twice a day for 3 days. so far so good. & have been doing this for the last 2 days.. BUT this evening i was reading Your Chickens mag and i come across an artical NOT to use ACV for sour crop.

i did wonder about an acid being used for an acid base illness. What do you think as i don't want to harm my beautiful lady if i carry on with this action. or is it just starve, water only then introduce small amount of pellets over a few days. & if you ask what gave her a sour crop, i don't know as the other 5 are fine & no problems. mind you she has always seemed to be my one hen that keeps me on my toes, but i still love her.

I used *nystatin when my girl had sourcrop. I got a prescription from the vets but im sure daktarin* in the same and that's available over the counter

(Not licensed for use in poultry)

I starved her and restricted fluids for 24 hours then introduced her to very small amounts of wet pellets and small amounts of water for a few days and continued wth the medication for a week.

I know DM recommend neat ACV syringed 2/3 times a day but I was already half way through flora's treatment and that worked for me otherwise I would have gone ahead with DM's suggestion as she is usually spot on!!

My girl got sourcrop by pigging herself, she was an ex commercial girl who came to me in a very sorry state and developed sourcrop within a week or two of coming home.

Sour crop is a yeast infection, which is why ACV (acidic) will get rid of it. Yeast infections thrive when the ph balance gets less acidic.

The steps you give above are spot on, but I would be careful about manhandling her crop if her op was recently.

If she's inclined to crop problems, then it may be symptomatic of another health issue, but I would suggest that you put ACV in their water a couple of times a week.

We always treat sour crop with a water only diet, even if that means syringing some in regularly. The definition of sour crop is a crop fugal infection which needs Nystatin or simply ACV. But most often the impending condition is spotted long before fungus takes hold and the water only diet will suffice.

As DM says, it could be a symptom of an existing or developing digestive obstruction. Perhaps an X-ray would show something?

My Jessica is a black rock & Has always been a greedy girl from the day i got her. she always seems to want more food than anyone else.

most of the time she can empty her crop, it's just every now and again she doesn't manage to clear it. i don't think there is another underlying problem. i couldn't feel any hard lumps in the crop. I've put her back in with the other girls & keeping an eye on her. if need be she'll be put back on a water diet for a day & ACV.