Sil-El

Not a good start to the weekend

We lost Harmony this morning :(

She was three years old and although she'd been a bit slower than the others recently she wasn't really giving us cause for concern until yesterday when my husband noticed she was having trouble walking and he had to help her get up the ramp to bed last night.

This morning she was on her side in the nest box and breathing very slowly so we rushed her round to the vet, although we weren't hopeful that anything could be done. The vet confirmed out worst fears and she was PTS as it seemed the kindest thing to do. He suspects it may have been peritonitis although there was no real way to be sure.

It's so sad and of course now we feel awful that she may have been suffering for a while and we didn't realise.

Is three a good age for a hen? Our other ladies are all about the same age and still full of energy and life, in fact Symphony has just started laying again so perhaps we have just been unlucky.

She was our best layer too, and my husband's favourite hen, he's heartbroken. :(

Thanks all for your comments.

I do feel slightly better to know that 3 is a good age. She was a hybrid, and so are our other three ladies and they are all about the same age so at least she did have a good innings.

They were all looking slightly confused this evening when I put them to bed. Harmony has Head Girl and I think they were all looking for her to lead them in. No doubt it will only take a short while for them to realise Harmony is not there anymore and then I expect Melody to assume command with relatively little opposition :wink: