L Marques

Avian vet in Southend-on-sea Essex

Anybody know of a vet in Southend on sea or Rayleigh (Essex) area that will be good with chickens or is there somebody around that knows about chickens and would be so kind to help me as my little chicken crop problem won't go away,it's been over a week now don't know what else to do.

I'm really worried for her,and the vet I've seen before I don't think he knows about chickens.

Please help I don't want to loose her. :(

Here are some vets as listed in Your Chickens magazine

Creighton Vets, Braintree, 01376 325 511

Orchid Vets, Brentwood 01277 227462

Tiptree Veterinary Centre, Tiptree 01621 818282

I hope one of them is near you.

Obviously I have no idea if they are any good but at least it could help sort out your chicken.

Thank you,unfortunately none of these are near me.

I've kept her off food again today.

Yesterday I made a mixture of mashed pellets grit and olive oil but today she has a sloshy crop again she still poops ok and she seem fine aswell I don't know what to do. :|

Sorry the info I gave you didn't help :(

My Gemma had a very full, squishy crop last year and I just did massage after massage, especially in the evenings watching tele :D

I admit she didn't have sour crop but the constant massages did the trick.

Can you ring round other local vets and ask if any of them do chickens ?

Hey there,

I am in Rayleigh if thats any help. If needed I take mine to Earls hall vetinary hospital in westcliff most of the vets there can see a chook. MR England is always great. It depends on what is needed. Antibiotics and stuff I go there, if it's a poorly chook that needs to go to sleep I go to my normal vet which is the vets4pets in rayleigh, they are great as 24/7 so if it's an emergency I can go anytime....

Hope that helps :D

Hi,thank you Quickcluck,I am in Rayleigh too ( little Whitley chase) that sounds good she is still very happy she don't look or act Ill,she wants to eat and she poops too I gave her yogurt and mealworms today and there was some mash pellets with grit and olive oil I left in there for them all.i don't understand,if she has sour crop wouldn't she have died by now? It's been about 2 weeks now she was first vomiting,we have being helping her with massages and all that,maybe she's got something else.mabe she needs surgery have you had any chickens that had this and how much do you think vets charge for that? :?:

that is strange! Does she smell? You can usually smell sour crop. If its squishy and you tip her upside down does anything fall out? Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Live yoghurt is great and you are already doing that. If she is happy and eating, drinking and pooping and doing chickeny things I would just continue to keep an eye on her... How old is she?

Hi,yeah she is squishy and yes stuff does come out if you massage the crop but not a lot,she is about 4 years old she is a beautiful grey bamtam,last year we lost Matilda a little frizzle to sour crop that was the first ever pet we've lost,but it was very different with her come home one day to find she was not doing anything and noticed a very massive crop and the next day she died even though I had taken her to vets the previous evening,I didn't know anything about sour crop and neither did that vet I don't think.

I don't know if I should let her free range I haven't being doing because she will eat grass I've being keeping her in,she is not laying eggs she hasn't done for a very looooong time but I think she was the one to lay this tiny tiny egg about a month ago,the size of a 50p coin,the other two chicken are laying,I've only got 3. :|

mabe she needs surgery have you had any chickens that had this and how much do you think vets charge for that? :?:

I have had 2 recently that had successful crop operations.

They both had blocked crops caused by eating the bedding I got them that was specially for chickens :evil:

You could definitely feel hard, mouldable lumps though which I'm not sure yours have got ?

The operation was quite expensive but definitely worth it.

mabe she needs surgery have you had any chickens that had this and how much do you think vets charge for that? :?:

Hello,

Just wanted to say that the operations mine had cost £100 each :shock:

Thought that might give you an idea of price if you decide to have any operation on them.

I just wondered also, how long you massage for at a time and how often ?

I hope you manage to get her sorted soon

luvachicken

Luvachicken, I paid £101 on Monday for a liver and kidney function blood test on my cat, took less than 5 mins - Vets just have a licence to print money. I think you got more for your £100 than I did, on the plus side her liver and kidneys are ok, In fact the vet said she has better function than most cats without diabetes especially as she has been diabetic for 5 years.

So pleased that both your girls are better :D

Luvachicken, I paid £101 on Monday for a liver and kidney function blood test on my cat, took less than 5 mins - Vets just have a licence to print money. I think you got more for your £100 than I did, on the plus side her liver and kidneys are ok, In fact the vet said she has better function than most cats without diabetes especially as she has been diabetic for 5 years.

So pleased that both your girls are better :D

Ooooppsie :oops: I thought I posted that as a PM.

I thought you might all think I was a bit mad paying that for a chicken x 2 :oops:

Oh well, the evidence is clear to see at how much I paid.