Justadmin

Change my mind

I need to be talked off of a "want to buy another chicken" ledge here.

We have two girls, very happy girls, very much loved and very loving towards us. They have a 6x4 coop and run unit, along with a 6x6 area of the garden that's theirs to destroy at will, plus they get to free range completely when I am about to supervise. I find they're easy enough to look after, I'm managing to keep everything clean and hygienic (I think) and no problems have arisen.

My usual motto in life is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." HOWEVER......

I've caught morehens disease and I really want another chicken! I know I can't because I'm surrounded by houses and the two girls are noisy enough, a third set of lungs could set the neighbours off. Plus that's a third bottom to do poos everywhere and a third beak to feed. All rational thinking points to it being a bad move.

Yet I really want to! I should have listened to those warnings about this hobby being addictive!

Change my mind folks, change my mind!

Its hard work introducing a singleton to an established pair of hens - the newbie tends to be picked on. Obviously it can be done but in your case as you have no need of a third bird ....just don't do it! When one of your pair dies then get hold of 2 more :D

Daphne is right that adding one girl is difficult and this knowledge should get you off that ledge.

Keeping chickens is addictive and there is no cure.

I started with 3, went up to 8 at one point and now have 5.

1 chicken or 10 chickens, still need food, still make poo but we still love them :D

Definitely don't introduce one on its own. I know my supplier wouldn't sell one chicken on its own either. Last year, I I traduced 2 chickens along with one that needed a new home and the older chicken was picked on a lot and it was by far the worst intros I had done. Far better off to intro 2 next Spring, get through the winter first . Also buying young chickens now, they might not start laying til next Spring due to them not coming into lay and lower light levels,so a complete waste of time in my books.

Four is no more work than 2, but I agree with Clicker1 in sitting with your decision till the late spring.The winters aren't the best weather for intros what with having to stay in the run on wet days, far better to do the intros next year when they can get to know each other in a less intense environment. The added bonus is you get to sit out & enjoy them!

Okay thanks guys, I feel the urge subsiding. They're just so beautiful and lovely, I want all the chickens! Haha, I've gone mad, stark raving chicken mad. What the neighbours must think I've no idea, looking out their bedroom windows and seeing a 6ft 7 man cradling a chicken in his arms, swaying side by side and singing edelweiss from the sound of music to it :shock::lol:

I will hold off until the spring and re-evaluate then :)