bluekarin

Possible hyperthyroidism in cats

Just got back from the vets with Mr YoYo (age 14) as he has been losing weight, eating constantly but throwing up pretty much every night, drinking quite a bit. She thinks he may have hyperthyroidism which we will find out for sure tomorrow morning once they have his blood test results. I just wondered if anyones cats had this and what the sort of costs we might expect would be for meds, tests etc Thank you!

Yes, it's common in older cats and if you search on here you'll find a couple of threads from a few years ago when my cat was diagnosed.

My vet will only prescribe for three months at a time, so I have a consultation every three months at about £65. To begin with, they need to do blood tests about every six weeks - about £85 round here, plus the consultation fee. Once the dose is stabilising the thyroid levels, you won't need these as often. My vets would like me to have one done every time but I usually resist and have one every six months. If they test for kidney disease etc as well, it costs more.

The thyroid pills work out about £1 a day - depends on dosage. I buy mine through Animed direct, they're much cheaper than my vet's price, but the vet charges £20 fee for providing a prescription, and you can't buy them without.

I'm not adding all that up, it's too scary! I've given up on booster vaccinations because I don't think Claudette needs them, and I just cannot afford them. I live in an expensive area and I don't think my vet is the cheapest, so you may find it works out cheaper for you.

Thanks Olly! Ive just read through the other posts. I am hoping it will be treatable with pills. The consultation and the blood test were £191 today :shock: and much as we love our puss cat, we just cannot afford that amount very often. We also do not have pet insurance for our cats.

We shall see what the vet says tomorrow morning when they phone.

Just heard back from the vets and it is hyperthyroidism. He will be started on a two week course of pills and see how it goes. Thankfully the blood test in two weeks will only be about £40 *phew* and hopefully that will see if he is responding to the meds. So pleased it isnt the big C as thats what his brother died from (the cat in my profile pic) and that was horrible :cry:

That's good news. Hyperthyroidism is very treatable, Claudette is quite skinny and its hard to get her to put on weight because of her IBS which is a whole other story, but other than that she is fit and healthy. I hope Mr YoYo is soon feeling better.