Chickabee

Strangest place your chicken has laid

I was collecting eggs today, doing very nicely. I'd noticed that one of my hybrids hadn't laid for a few days, she lives in the stables and normally lays in a pet carrier. This is currently occupied by a broody, as the broody crate has the Brahma in it again :roll: . Found one egg under the broody, thought that was it. The stables cat was meowing at me so I fed her. When I did I found 2 eggs in her bed. It's lovely and soft and fluffy, perfect for laying eggs in :lol:

:shock: Tha'ts one of those things you would think was impossible!

I once had a broody large fowl orpington who very cunningly laid her eggs under the henhouse which was on legs about 4 inches off the ground. I couldn't reach under there, and I am very surprised the big orpington managed to squeeze herself under. I am also surprised she had the wit to do it :lol:

It two 2 humans to outwit her.....by lifting the henhouse up and moving it :lol:

I've had one fly over 6ft trellis panels to lay in a wooden barrel flower pot (daily) one lay in old hanging basket on the ground, ones who laid in an Ali Baba terracotta pot which was laying on its side (last year a chook hatched babies in said pot!) Currently have 3 hens who lay at base of a New Zealand flax at top of my driveway. ...that's just some of the ones I remember!! :lol:

A few weeks ago I have a hen who lays in a high plant pot in the garden, I blocked that nest, the next day I went to the garden, I didn't shut the utility door, she managed to squeeze in and laid an egg on the clothes in the basket over the washing machine