bokbok87

feather pecking

Hi All,

Firstly thank you for all the help in advance!

Have had chickens for well over 4 years so most things we have learnt as we've gone on. Have a strange one though regarding feather pecking.

I've had this trio of hens for well over a year now. However the last month has seen the eldest hen have her vent feathers pulled out by the other two. The girlies have plenty of space in the run and get a few treats in a hanging cage so I didn't think it is boredom that is the issue. As I write this they are all outside on the kitchen step and I can hear squawking as they continue to pull them out (even though they have the whole run of the garden) I note that one hen seems to be eating the feathers so clearly she has a taste for them.

I went down to the local farm to buy some anti peck spray but this has done absolutely nothing so I am wondering if anyone has some other brands they could suggest? As I only have a trio at the minute it would be difficult to separate them.

Thanks

Chickens are 'wired' pretty simply, and they form habits very quickly, such as pecking at shiny things, or tapping on a cup which makes an unusual noise. In this case, she has formed a habit, which is rewarded by the pecked hen squeaking and running off. Unless it is prevented, this can very quickly escalate to cannibalism... having had to euthanase someone's hen recently where this happened and they thought that Bumpa Bits were 'cruel', so didn't fit one - I can tell you that the results aren't pretty!

They can be right madams!

Well it turns out I had bought a 'natural' anti peck spray from the farm. Ended up buying one from the internet which smells and tastes awful - I I know this as I sprayed it into my own hair.....

The girls tried to continue pulling Amber's feathers but don't seem to like it very much! Every now and again they seem to forget about the taste and have another go :doh: I am sure we will get them to stop in the end though now. If not they will defo get the bumpa bits!

That certainly wasn't the reason for my two feather pecking my Orpington. She just stood there and let them do it. No squawk, not a peep, she just carried on with whatever she was doing and they followed behind stripping her bare.

:roll: Just plain mean then?!

Just plain habitual feather peckers :lol::lol:

When I picked their bodies up after the fox killed them, the two ex=batts still had their heads and it was their little bumpa bits that really made me cry I have no idea why :( although the other two being headless made me cry even more