wyosara

Questions on safety and winter

I am really excited about purchasing an Eglu Go Up, but before I do I wondered if anyone has raccoons in their landscape as predators? I want to feel confident this coop will keep our future chickens safe after losing some in the past to these wily creatures. 

Also, we are located in Wyoming, USA and our winters can get cold (-25 Fahrenheit at times). Is the insulation and cover enough to keep them warm all winter long? If not, what does one do to keep them warm? We do get a lot of sunshine during the day, but nights can be cold in December/January. 

Thanks for any advice!

There are a few old topics on here regarding raccoons. You can use the search bar at the top. Make sure you are on the main page, otherwise it will just search this page.

Regarding the cold, I think a Cube would be better suited as you can buy a protective cover that covers the whole thing. With the Go it’s only the side and top panel. The back and front can’t be insulated. Although housing won’t be your biggest issue, but rather keeping them from getting frostbite on their combs and feet. I assume most will keep their hens indoors in winter in your area?

When in doubt, give Omlet a ring?

On 4/8/2018 at 12:48 PM, wyosara said:

I am really excited about purchasing an Eglu Go Up, but before I do I wondered if anyone has raccoons in their landscape as predators? I want to feel confident this coop will keep our future chickens safe after losing some in the past to these wily creatures. 

Also, we are located in Wyoming, USA and our winters can get cold (-25 Fahrenheit at times). Is the insulation and cover enough to keep them warm all winter long? If not, what does one do to keep them warm? We do get a lot of sunshine during the day, but nights can be cold in December/January. 

Thanks for any advice!

Hello Wyosara. I am from eastern Canada, we too at times can have cold weather. I myself have been wondering about the cold. I have use electrical heating pads in my dog kennels for years. Bellow is a link. The cloth cover just comes off and I was thinking of placing in the droppings tray. I have washed the pads many times. Not sure it would work but I think it is worth a try. I believe I purchased mine from Cabelas years ago.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lectro-Kennel-Heat-22-5x28-5-Inch-Large-Watts/dp/B000PSRN20

That's an interesting idea. I imagine it will get quite dirty with poo, but since it's washable that just might work for a winter. My girls are Austrolorps so I also hope their size and durability will help, as well as the Eglu blanket. Thank you!