emmalou

Sour crop

Mavis has had sour crop for a couple of days. I have massaged and emptied smelly yukky brown liquid morning and night for two days. The crop feels squidgy this morning but quite empty. I don't think I can smell anything nasty now. Nothing came up this morning. she is quiet and not eating although walking around and last night wanted to be out with the girls. i cannot tempt her today with food. I have tried chopped grapes, live yoghirt and layer crumble but she doesn't have an appetitie. Does it take a while for their appetite to come back? I would like to put her back in the run with a bland diet but not sure if that is a good idea?

I would avoid yoghurt as that can feed the yeast infection, ditto to the sugar in grapes.

Make sure she is drinking water, drop some onto her beak if that encourages her and feed layers crumble (or her normal food) when she's ready. Some people use Vanadine V18 or Nystatin but if it's not smelly you may not need to.

Keep us updated

If someone comes with a bird with sour crop, then I recommend to empty it (carefully) then to syringe feed 2-3ml of neat apple cider vinegar (ACV)  into her beak for a couple of days and keep her on just water and pellets. Going forward keep the diet free from treats, especially fruit, and add ACV to the water a couple of times a week. Buy live ACV from a horse feed supplier