Hellis

Hybred Bantams

Hi all 

hybred bantams - I’ve seen a few adverts for POL hybred bantams however not a lot of information about them, does anyone own any? Trying to choose what we will get possibly 2 pekins and 2 hybred but if the hybred bantams are a breed as such then I would lean towards 4 of those 

thanks all!! 

Do you mean 'hybrids'? These are usual large fowl, which are a mix of various breeds to produce a hybrid that's a placid layer. Bantams are pure breeds and technically a breed for which there is no larger counterpart, although the term is used generically to describe the small version of large pure breeds.

Pekins are lovely and fun birds, true bantams, but inclined to go broody at the drop of a hat!

yes I do - was a bit tired yesterday post nightshift!

ok that's what I thought I have only seen them a couple of places and was skeptical about them being a thing as such. I do like the pekins and might just have them for the fun/colour aspect and have a couple of hybrids for the eggs!

There is a breeder near me who is developing hybrid bantams to lay blue and green eggs, but I don’t think he’s got them ready to sell yet. And I certainly haven’t seen any anywhere else. 

If you can get a couple of pekins and a couple of hybrids to happily co-exist (there will be a big size difference but I know some people have made it work, and actually when my pekins went on holiday to stay with my mums hybrids they escaped into the hybrids run and they all pretty much just ignored each other!) then I reckon that’d be a perfect combination of eggs and interest 🙂

12 hours ago, mullethunter said:

There is a breeder near me who is developing hybrid bantams to lay blue and green eggs, but I don’t think he’s got them ready to sell yet. And I certainly haven’t seen any anywhere else. 

I would guess that they might be creating a smaller version of the Blue Angel, which is an araucana/leghorn cross, and is pretty likely to lay turquoise eggs. You'd probably get the same by crossing bantams of both breeds.

I saw them advertised on FB with the pure breed poultry company so not sure if its one of the same but might be worth a look out of curiosity.

I am torn between 2 and 2 or 4 hybrids with a variety of egg laying colours which I am leaning towards

Hybrids are bred commercially by the thousands as utility birds to produce meat (broilers) or eggs (layers).

Small scale producers may call their new 'creations' hybrids but they're probably just crossbreed bantams who lay a good number of eggs. I doubt you'll get a bantam to lay 300+ eggs a year.