sarahb

No Eggs

Hi

I am not sure whether this is going to work but here goes ...

We are now the proud owners of Ruby (PP), Millie (PP) and Daisy (GNR) who arrived with their pink eglu on the 25th October, I imagine aged around 16 weeks although Ruby looks a lot older (red comb and wattle). Since then, despite checking the eglu constantly, no eggs. Are they

a) too young or

b) is it because we are now in winter and the daylight hours are less (they do take themselves off to bed regularly at 4.45).

Also Daisy (GNR) is an escape artist. We have built an extension to the eglu run but she just hops over the top and wanders around investigating everything. This is fine as we can usually get her back in but we have an older member of the family, Coco our 9 1/2 year old German Pointer whose instincts will probably get the better of her. Any ideas?

SarahB (pink eglu) (why cant I get a pic of a pink eglu here?)

Ruby (PP)

Millie (PP)

Daisy (GNR)

and Coco with nose out of joint

Hi Sarah,

To get a pink eglu you need to use all lower case and enclose it in a ( )

(*pink eglu*) - take out the *s leaving no spaces where they were should leave you with (pink eglu).

Your hens are probably still young. Point of lay is anything from 15-18 weeks and they usually start laying about 4 weeks from that but some don't start until they're much older at around 24-25 weeks old! Yours could be young ones, that's all. The eggs should start coming. They're hybrids so won't take a break over winter and if they're eating their layers pellets, they should treat you to an egg or two very soon!

Dear Kate

Thank you very much. I shall try that at the end of this message. I assume that they (chooks) were around 16 weeks when they arrived so won't threaten them with the pot just yet. They are great fun and real characters, pecking order seems to have altered since they arrived but no nastiness. Daisy (GNR) the inquisitive escape artist is always knocking on the door to be let out first and is wandering round the garden as I type, Ruby (PP) the eldest was the boss but not anymore, Millie (PP) a little more wary but getting braver every day.

Sarah B (pink eglu)

Ruby (PP)

Millie (PP)

Daisy (GNR)

Hi Sarah,

You need to write !*egg*! but without the *s and no spaces where they were!! !egg!

If you want them to come onto your postings automatically, you need to go into your profile and type the little codes into where it says "signature" and then you won't need to keep adding them every time you post.

Hi Sarah

I have had my girls for 8 weeks now and still no eggs. The Omlet man said they were 18 weeks when they arrived so I am giving up hope a bit. Like you, I was wondering if I was going to be out of luck until Spring. I do hope not (sacrificed my grass for nothing :roll: ). Good luck with yours - let us know when they lay!