Strawberrybex

What breed is he?

He looks like a Wyandotte, but I don’t have the breed or a cockerel for that matter. He is a stunning looking boy though. His ankles look massive though!:shock:

This a picture I found online searching for buff wyandotte cockerel:

63DA965C-6F59-433C-BC7A-B8A518315129.jpeg

Edited by Cat tails

He is a buff orp, although with a slightly weird comb, the white legs indicate heΒ isn't a dotte, though they are quite similar in many ways.Β  He certainly does have chunky legs!Β  Perhaps theΒ leg scales do look a bit raised, but that could be that he is pressing forward, its hard to see.Β  ItΒ may just be the photos or the weather, but his feathers don't look in tip top condition, the neck hackles look a bit thin and almost wet and the saddle/tail feathers look a bit ragged.Β  It may just be that he needs a bit of tlc with good quality feed, or that he is getting on a bit.Β He shouldn't be staggering.Β  That could indicate something physical in the foot/leg or possibly a heart issue (which is common given their size).Β  Β Orps do have lovely temperaments, particularly the boys, I hope you enjoy him:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. We have a girlie or as well so of he us up to it 🐣 🀣 

It had just been raining so looks a bit ruffled because he was damp I guess. Will try to get him today and give him the once over. I've just ordered some scaly leg mites spray and and flubenvet pellets so they will be wormed again - guess I am OK feeding him layers pellets or does he need to be fed corn separately?

He's quite an old Buff Orpington; perhaps 5. In time they develop hip problems on account of their overweight chest, which has been promotedΒ over the last 20+ years for the show standard. They also have ingrowing and distorted feather when they get olderΒ as the Buff Orpington was created in a hurry (20 years I read, without properly selected breeding)Β and isn't the same origins as the original colours of black, white and later Jubilee (for Queen Victoria I think). The hens have these problems to a far lesser extent.

Our old boy is now 8,Β can't walk more than a few feet, struggles to standΒ and needs regular inspections as the ingrowing feathers get infected.

Just stick to the pellets, reserve corn if you need to capture him or as a bit of a treat in the winter.Β  How nice that you have a pair of orps.Β  Just watch the hen, she may require a poultry saddle in time to protect her back.