Natspringy

Mareks vaccine

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I could get hold of the mareks vaccine??! My chooks have been exposed and sadly we lost one. I'm taking an experts advice who suggests the vaccine could slow the growth of tumours so worth a shot.

But is it some thing I can just get from the vets? 

Thank you for your time,

Nat :)

Where are you based? I would contact Chicken Vet for advice as I'm not sure about post-exposure vaccine to adult hens if they've already met the virus.
If it is possible they will be able to advise sourcing the vaccine too as most vets won't carry it.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

The trick (i find) with Marek's is to minimise stress in your flock; it is a herpes virus like chicken pox (hahah), cold sores and shingles, all of which rear their heads at times of stress. I had two cases many years back, one of the fast killing variety, and the other was the slow-burn one. I haven't had any since and just mange their stress levels when introducing new birds, and give them a good poultry tonic like Vit Boost in their water a couple of times a week.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

The trick (i find) with Marek's is to minimise stress in your flock; it is a herpes virus like chicken pox (hahah), cold sores and shingles, all of which rear their heads at times of stress. I had two cases many years back, one of the fast killing variety, and the other was the slow-burn one. I haven't had any since and just mange their stress levels when introducing new birds, and give them a good poultry tonic like Vit Boost in their water a couple of times a week.

Thank you!  Am being very careful re stress (I keep reminding my 5 year old of this!!!) and shall add a good vitamin. Thank you. :) shall look at ways to make sure they arent too stressed when we go away in a few weeks too.

7 hours ago, Hippie Chick said:

Sorry I can't help you Natspringy but sounds like a good idea B|

Thank you :)