grahamrhind

Treadle feeder training

I happened upon a treadle feeder yesterday while at my feed suppliers (a Feed-o-Matic AF20F, for the connoisseurs) and I bought it because the rats have no problems using the Eglu feeders and they are becoming rather too numerous for my liking.  I know it can take a few days for the hens to work a feeder out, but so far they have simply ignored it and even putting food around it doesn't get their attention.  They have so many other places to explore and grub around in that I'm concerned that they are not going to check it out at all and I'll be left with an expensive pedal bin. (I have a similar issue with a special feeder whose name I'd have to look up but which was like a normal bird feeder.  The hens couldn't have been less interested, and I left it out for months. They're an obstreperous lot). So does anybody have any experience and advice on getting them to use the feeder?

Thanks.

Firstly there must be no other feeders out or treats given. They may get a bit hungry but it doesn't matter short term. The treadle feeder must be securely wedged fully open so it will need to be under cover from rain (you might get some); leave it like that for a week. The second stage is to wedge it partially open, so that their weight fully opens it, for another week. Then leave it closed by which time they should be used to the opening motion and not be frightened. You may need to lubricate the hinge points and alter the balance with weights stuck under the treadle (car wheel balance lead weights). 

We have a grandpas feeder which has been balanced up and lubricated but never used, so I am just quoting from their instructions to some extent. I've heard people have had to take the process a lot slower than suggested so it could perhaps take a month? Don't think they will work well for a mixed weight flock or very light birds? What bothers me is if a bird is feeding from the side when the one at the front gets off the treadle. I haven't had a look at our feeder for years but seem to remember it had side plates to prevent that situation?

The feeder I have bought protects the feed from rain and has side panels (see picture).  The openings for the food are small and I'm not sure my hens are going to like them.  But I'll phase out the Omlet feeder and, if I find they're getting enough food from free-ranging (which they do 24-hours a day) then I've saved myself a fortune in feed costs! 

I'll keep you posted.

0001336_feed-o-matic-treadle-feeder-20kg.jpeg

I showed mine me putting in top quality treats and they were clamoring to try. I followed the schedule as described - 1 week training fully open, 1 partially and then normal..I did take mine to it and sit with them too. Mine are very noisy so jumped in pretty fast to it.  No user with feeder. Trickier getting them to like their food 😂

They learn very quickly - we just used a smaller stone every other day till they did not need a weight on it - my treadle feeder fits into the eglu run = it needs to be angled to get it in but then it stands up ok - my husband sat it on a board to keep it level and it works great - I cannot bend to get it out again to fill it but he does it - the only thing we have problems with is slugs seem to get into it - not very nice but easy enough to deal with.  Nematodes round about helps.  I too bought it to outwit the dreaded rat!!

Note: the Feedomatic is not rat proof. Though it keeps out wild birds and smaller rodents, the rats can feed from it simply by pushing the closed gate back with their noses. I guess this isn’t a problem with the Grandpa's range because they open by swinging upwards rather than backwards.

Just so you know ...

I have the exact same feeder.  I put a brick on it to keep it open for a couple of days and took all other food out and they were using it in no time.  They spill a lot of food though and I have to periodically move it and clean the build up of pellets off the ground around the base.  So all in all not very rat proof, but I haven't had a problem with rodents so far and it's been a month and a half.  The nice thing is that it is water proof and I can fill it up and it will feed my girls for almost two weeks.  Two of them can feed at the same time but they both have to be standing on the treadle to get their heads in.  It's a requirement for having chickens on the allotment to use this type of feeder.  I don't know if it's really any better than the glug that comes with the Eglu.

https://www.westfalia.net/shops/farming/livestock_farming/poultry_farming/feeding_poultry/1574217-automatic-feed-dispenser-12-kg-max-with-drinking-trough.htm

Edited by B.B.

Don't get me wrong - it definitely reduces the accessibility of the feed to other animals a lot - just not completely. I only need about 25% of the feed I used previously, as I'm not feeding the whole of North Germany's sparrow population on a daily basis any more; and it's great that it doesn't need refilling all the time and that the feed stays dry. 

The rats are definitely having a harder time of it - they've tried to burrow under the feeder (pointless), chew through the plastic (failed) and chew through the door to the shed where the feed is kept (also failed). I did, though, see one larger rat treating the feeder like a buffet yesterday, so it's not completely rat-proof.  That said, I have now re-positioned the feeder on a hard flat base, and tipped it ever so slightly forward to let gravity help with the closing mechanism, so that might help further.

Edited by grahamrhind