Sokokomo

Rabbits and Red mite!

Hi - I had a large shed for my hens' accommodation but now I only have 1 lone hen left :( I have put her in a smaller coop for night-time and retired the chicken shed. I would like to keep my rabbit in there as a space for him to hop around, it will be larger than his hutch/run for night-time and he can wander out in the garden as he is used to. My only worry is that the shed has harboured red mite in the past. It has been uninhabited for around a month or 2...and in that time whilst it has been empty I have done 2 smoke bombs (Hatchwell?) - actually 4 smoke bombs, given the square footage - each a week apart. Apart from killing a lot of moths (:(), would you trust that it is red-mite free, and therefore can house the rabbit?

At first I didn't think red mite would infect the rabbit, even if they were still present in the shed, but a few googles and journals later, it appears they will feed off a rabbit if there are no hens present. 

Would you use the shed for the rabbit? I have the option of using Ivermectin for the rabbit if the worst happens, alongside treating the shed. I was always against using Ivomec in the hens as it made the eggs inedible. No such worries for the bunny! But I don't want to knowingly infect him. Do you think the 2 treatments, a week apart will have been sufficient?

Thanks

Sokokomo

Dogmother is the expert on red mite.  I seem to remember they can remain active for a very long time.  Two years comes to mind.  But I might have made that up! What was in the smoke bombs?  Permethrin is I think the active person ingredient to kill them.  But it’s toxic to fish and cats.  Not sure about rabbits. 

How about painting the inside of the shed white so you can see the little b..... if they turn up?  I think the old way to treat wood is to coat with creosote. 

Hi Patricia - thanks for the reply! Been away on holiday so just catching up. The shed was initially creosoted (obviously doesn't work lol!) ...and the smoke bombs were Permethrin you are right :) I assume now all the smoke has gone it wouldn't still be toxic? It's in those sprays for rabbit hutches so hadn't really considered it still being toxic one it had dried/aired etc. and it's been 3-4 weeks since treatment. 

I just don't want them to come back as soon as they sense a rabbit in there! 

They don’t live on the creature they bite, but just come out to feast on them, usually at night.   There are so many hiding places in wooden sheds, like Dogmother I doubt you’ll get rid of them completely.   You’ll probably know if they are still there if you see/ feel little dots creeping up your arms.... just off for a shower! 

On 17/08/2018 at 9:33 PM, The Dogmother said:

Please be very careful of using DE; it is harmful to both humans and creatures, harming both the respiratory system and mucous membranes.  In light of more recent research, i wouldn't use it

Just wanted to check that the Red Mite powder is not the same as DE ?

The Red Mite powder is also harmful to aquatic life.

I'm thinking I should throw away my DE but keep the Red Mite powder. How do I dispose of it ?