Dancing Gal

say no to 0870 numbers

LOLOL me and Claret have been having a conversation about this on anohter thread. I worked out that by making Mum use Say no to 0870 and her mobile minutes when a mobile call was required we save £25 a month which is the cost of a second hand Eglu over a year!

And mum now has a geo number for Omlet.

0870 and other numbers are very useful for businesses as they are easy to divert to other telepehone systems etc. These numbers are not premium rate numbers but are charged higher than local numbers similar to national rate.

Personally I like to use a geo number to call companies but we do infact have a national rate number for our business as it makes life so much easier for our helpdesk calls etc. I do think that BT and the like should stop taking huge profits from these numbers and reduce them by a few p per minute.

In general if I can't find a geo number I GO ELSEWHERE. If totally desperate I call from work.

As far as I am concerned they are PREMIUM RATE to me as if it was a geo number the call is FREE - even to my mate in Canada. Its not more useful to the customer its just MORE EXPENSIVE.

:evil::evil::evil:

Any number can be attached to the call centre system. switchboard or just diverted and they are not benefitting your business Starboy - there are lots of people who think like me, visit the forums on http://www.moneysavingexpert.com and do a search about it. Or just read Martins article on the big rip off http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/0870-say-no?gclid=CK__5_H_xI4CFQgvlAod9EFiBQ

I will only call a geo number or an 0800 number (and I'm not keen on them as they are not free from mobiles) For anyone reading this who isn't sure, read martins article in the above link - that man IS the money saving expert. And here is a handy guide to those "hidden" premium numbers

080: Freephone (including 0800 and 0808 numbers); (but not free from mobiles)

084: Up to 5p per minute form BT lines; (and not included in your free calls package)

087: Up to 10p per minute from BT lines (and not included in your free calls package)

Finally there is now a worrying trend in the NHS towards 0844 numbers and this petition has been set up about this major issue.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs/

"General Medical Practioners are being persuaded, by telephone equipment suppliers and service providers, to change from the use of local 01 and 02 geographic numbers to a non-geographic 0844 number to book an appointment and 0870 numbers for calls from overseas countries. The patient has to remember a 11 or 12 digit number as againt a 5 or 6 digit local call number. These numbers are also revenue sharing numbers and generate an income for the doctors surgery and/or the telephone service provider and encourage the queing of calls to generate extra revenue. It is not possible to make a 0870 call from most overseas counties and therefore you or a hospital will not beable to contact your doctor for information. After hours doctor services are also using the 0870 number for incoming calls This practice penalises the poor, elderly and other persons who do not have access to a home phone and must rely on a public phone box and is additional un-neccessary burden and cost on illness"

Sorry about the rant - its a real bugbear of mine and I'll head back over to the Grumpy thread now. :wink:

Any number can be attached to a switchboard or call centre and indeed diverted to it, but this is not easy if you have 100's or 1000's of lines that is where these numbers help businesses and other larger organisations as these can be "diverted" to any number within minutes at no extra cost to the organisation.

I dont agree it encourages call queueing, call queueing helps save money for the organisation as they dont have to pay for extra staff to answer calls, I would rather queue to an NHS number rather than either get an engaged tone or pay more in taxes due to them needing 1000's of more staff across the country.

In our case we only deal with other businesses so this isnt a problem for us, if we dealt with home users we would probably have a geo number, now we are using voip for our business lines its much easier and cheaper to add lines even to geo numbers, next year you will need a license for 0870 / 0871 numbers (I think its next year) if thats the case we will probably tarnsfer over, but for most businesses adding extra BT lines or diverting is very costly for non voip telephone lines.

I will have a read of those articles, I do agree that they can be expensive for customers and they probably benefit business much more than anyone else......

I never mind being held in a queue, I'm making free call cos I havn't called the premium rate number (as I said they are all premium rates for me). Ironically when you phone SKY on a non premium number (and the so and so's keep disabling numbers so its a constant search for a free one) you seem to jump the queue as well!

When looking for a business or service in yellow pages I just pick the ones with the geo numbers.

My phone bill last month had 30p of calls, one was Mum oddly calling her bank on the 0845 number (she usually uses the geo number but didn't!!!), One was her calling a mobile (again she should have used her mobile) and one was where one of us had broken another golden rule and dialed 1471 then pressed 3 to call back, making what should be a free call into a pay call. Fortunately they were all short calls but I still resent the 30p!

It only knows them if we tell them, I have Omlets, when they called us back Mum did 1471 and got the geo number!

If you can't find it on the site searching their forums often help. As I said above the Sky number changes almost monthly but the forum has never let me down.