michaela65

Help me make a decision!

Hi I have four chickens down at my allotment.  I only got them in April and I am totally in love with them :-).  However this has its downside as I am spending far too much time at the allotment and the rest of the time I am worrying about them.  At the allotment they are in a run 10 x 22ft plus I have what I call the chicken garden which is another 10 by 15 which I let them into when I am down there, which is about four hours a day.   At my house I only have a small garden 20ft by 20ft but am thinking I would be happier if they were here at home.  But I have a cat and next door has a dog that barks alot, and there are also lots of cats nearby.    I had been planning on extending their permanent run at the allotment and also the chicken garden, so they would have loads of space.    The indecision is giving me a headache.   I want what is best for the chickens, but just can not make my mind up which option is best.  And although I realise my garden is bigger than their permanent run, it is not really as I have paths, shed, patio etc.   Your thoughts on this would be great.  Thanks in advance.

You may be happier and worry less if they’re in your garden, but they will absolutely destroy it. In my old house we had 4 bantams in a garden approx the same size as yours - about a third was patio and a third was lawn, and anything green was totally destroyed within about two months. It was a rental property and we had to pay for it to be re-turfed when we left.

As long as they are secure, your chickens will be happier at the allotment where they have more space.

I agree with Mullethunter. They will absolutely trash your garden, so if you do move them you'd need to be prepared for that. At our old house we had a pretty small garden and it was impossible to keep the chickens out of beds/plants where we didn't want them to be, etc. At our current property we have enough space for them to have their own fenced-off area which is quite large - it's bigger than your garden. It was a thriving, rich lawn area when we moved in but less than a year after setting up the enclosure the grass was all gone. So if I were you, I would leave them where they are and just work on worrying about them less! 

Thanks for the replies.  Yes I think you are all right.  I can give them lots of room at the allotment.   I am a worrier by nature and as everyone keeps telling me the chickens do not care if I am there or not...........I like to think they miss me a little bit.    I spend alot of time down the allotment because the run is now just bare earth and I feel compelled to let them have as many hours as I can manage in the chicken garden which somehow is managing to stay green with grass.   I am going to double the space next year and make the chicken garden fox proof as well so I can let them out there in the morning and shut them back in the run in the evening.    I love the chickens and I have been shocked and appalled at the attitude of many towards chickens in general.    My first few months of keeping them was very stressful and cost me lots in vets bills.   At the allotment there is someone who is keeping four chickens in what I would call a rabbit hutch.......we had a massive row over it.  When I rang the rspca over it they said they only dealt with people keeping over 30 birds and that it was the councils responsibility.  When I called the council they said it was the rspca's responsibility.   I then tried trading standards and they told me there is no legal definition and as long as they are being fed etc they can not do anything.  Does anyone know if this correct?

I'm not sure if there are laws on space requirements but in terms of the council I think they'd only get involved if there are local bylaws saying you cannot keep poultry or if the birds are causing a nuisance through noise, odour or vermin.

Space... well, if you think about how commercial producers cram birds in... I imagine the RSPCA would only be concerned about a set up that does not conform to minimum commercial standards (though I don't know what they are). Even if you are a hobbyist keeping only a few birds it is still classed as livestock and not pets. 

I haven't been in your situation though and so I really don't know for sure. Maybe you might find something useful on the DEFRA website?  

There is guidance on the DEFRA site, which recommends no less than 1 square metre per bird, but that relates to commercial set-ups and not domestic. There are very few official rules relating to domestic poultry, and unless there are obvious signs of neglect or cruelty, then the RSPCA won't be bothered to intervene. Hopefully the owner will take notice of your set-up, see how happy your birds are, and follow suit. It is hard to see, I know.