Julianna

Old girl falling over

Our lovely old Light Sussex Liza has started falling over. It happens when she comes down the ladder in the morning, and then if she tries to exert herself like running for food with her 4 hen friends. Her legs give way under her and she is slumped for a few moments before she gets back up again. Otherwise she seems bright and normal and enjoying being a hen. So I’m wondering if it’s mechanical rather than systemic. Can hens get musculoskeletal problems in old age, like humans? I’m reluctant to say goodbye to her quite yet as she seems otherwise quite happy. Any experience out there of similar? Thanks

Sounds like it could be a circulatory problem Julianna and I doubt there is anything that can be done. Good quality feed is important. That will eliminate a vitamin deficiency of some kind. I'd just keep her warm and happy. We have two dozen oldies with all manner of problems including weak hips (Orpington), so that can't be ruled out either. In her case we lift her out of the coop every morning to avoid unnecessary strain.