JenCat060

bumpa bit help!

Can anyone help? Currently trying to fit bumpa bits and not having much luck. We've watched the vids and tried softening them in water but they are snapping when we use the circlip pliers to open them wide enough.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you!

Quick update - we've had another go (using hotter water this time). Seems to be on right. Now have an unhappy looking chicken but hopefully she will get used to it quickly. Will keep an eye on her to make sure she's eating and drinking okay.

I was just about to post that the water needs to be warm; about 40C I'd guess at. They can get used to then very quickly or get very upset and try to tear them out, which they can do with injury. You need to watch her for the first hour. We've had to take one out before now, let her calm down and refit it later (in practice they break coming out, so fit another).

Are they Omlet bumpa bits?  There were some reports a while back that they snapped; perhaps the plastic wasn't flexible enough.

Make sure that you have the right length; some birds have shorter beaks and need a smaller bit. Cotswold Chickens sells the pliers and differently sized bits, but they aren't on the website so you need to ring them.

I had awful trouble with the Omlet ones and they all snapped. I got the ones from Cotswold Chickens and they were fine, excellent service too! I would second Dogmother and perhaps get a couple of sizes just to make sure - I will do this next time if I ever need again!

and me.  I had the medium size in use for some time on a bad girl but once they'd grown their feathers she managed to get mouthfuls again so I moved her onto the biggest and she's fine now.  I weighed her beforehand to make sure she wasn't losing weight when wearing it.

Good luck it is a worry when they feather peck or cannibalise eachother but they do get used to them.