Rotherhamgirl

Dirty vent and cream-coloured ‘flakes’

We have 6 hens. Yesterday we had to wash the bottoms of 3 of them as they had caked-on poo sticking to the feathers around their vents. Two of them seemed to have cream-coloured ‘flakes’ around the vent area. In themselves, they’re very perky and healthy-looking and they’re laying. Any idea of what might be wrong? I’ve put Diatom in the nesting box and will check their vents again tomorrow. Thanks for any insights!

The flakes are probably dead skin Rotherhamgirl, so in themselves nothing to worry about, but it can be caused by a reaction to their diet or a digestive problem. My first thought was worms, so when were they last treated with Flubenvet? Very important to keep those bottom feathers and particularly the skin around the vent clean as fly strike is always a possibility.

3 minutes ago, Jane3 said:

How often should we worm hens and do we worm hens

Depends on if you worm preventative or on infection. Some here worm twice to four times a year to prevent them getting a high wormload. But most vets will also check a poo sample on worms. Which means you only worm when it’s really needed.

Most here use medicated pellets with Flubenvet, which you give for a week, without anything else, no free ranging and no treats. I live in the Netherlands and use an oral wormer, I get from my vet.

I agree that the flakes may just be dry skin - give them a good wash and dry. If there's any exposed skin, then slap on some Sudocrem, which will protect it. Have you checked them for lice and mites? Northern Fowl Mites are particularly irritating to the skin, and can cause a build-up of dead skin cells around the vent area. This then catches the poo and they end up with clumpy fluff that needs washing.

Just like your cats and dogs, it is best to keep up a regime to keep parasites down so that they remain healthy. Flubenvet is the only licenced and effective wormer for poultry and is sold in pre-medicated pellets; @Cat tails has outlined how to use it. If you haven't wormed before, or suspect that they have a heavy wormload, then worm once, leave a gap of 3 weeks, then worm again. After that, worm regularly if necessary. I tend to send off for a faecal testing kit from Westgate Labs, or take a sample to my vet twice a year and worm if necessary.

For lice and mites - prevention is best here. Most poultry-savvy vets will recommend a spot-on containing Ivermectin, to be used quarterly; this isn't licenced (yet) for use on poultry in the UK, but is the best way to prevent them getting mites and lice - your vet will go over use and egg withdrawal with you. I clean out my housing, then spray with Nettex's Total Mite Kill pink spray, then powder with their Buz Busters louse powder - doing that weekly keeps any mites and lice at bay.