MamaCoop

Am I barmy to ask this question - what do chickens prefer? Long or square?!

Do chickens prefer a long run or a square /rectangle run? 

I have the option of extending my Go Up run so it is 6m long. Am just watching my hens (who currently free range for 5-6 hours a day) and wondering on those rainy days when they wont come out would a long and thin run be boring for them? 

Or is it best to give them some kind of square/rectangle run so they have 6m in total but a differnet  shape to mooch about in?

Or does the shape really not matter to a hen?!  🤔😀

Edited by MamaCoop

They like to flap their wings, so perhaps a thin run will be too narrow.There is also the issue of the lowest hen passing the others without being pecked. All our runs are square and that's what I would recommend. The top, if covered will need a central support.

thanks for the replies have three hens. Currently with a Go and a 3m covered run. They free range for a lot of the day fenced into quite a large area probably about 7x4.

Its the run time thinking about and whilst I haven't had them long have noticed on rainy days (and Mondays!) they dont come out of the run. Maybe adding a 2x2 lo rise on the end may be a good idea.   

Our chickens are far more active in our 1.8x2.5m converted greenhouse than they were in the 3mx1m cube run.   They used to just sit on the highest perch if they were confined to the cube run.  In the greenhouse they spend more time foraging in the deep bedding and fly between the perches and other surfaces.   They used to peck and jostle one another on the perches in the cube run but now have their own little areas in the bigger rectangular run

Thanks for replies, have settled  (and convinced hubbie) on adding a 3x2 lo rise run when Omlet has some kind of offer on (which I am hoping is soon🤞

We have low hedges either side of our garden so would struggle with anything higher than about 5ft. 

They have a lovely amount of free ranging space and time but I worry about foxes, as we back onto a field, and we really need to give them a secure space for rainy days and mondays!