Hi - we rescued 3 girls at the weekend, they were from a free range farm so in good condition and we have named them "H", "E" and "N"

We have 2 existing hens (Chi and Ken ) who happily free range and will return to the WIR as soon as call them and shake the corn . 

I am assuming the 3 new ones are used to free ranging all day so not sure when I should let them out or how to get them back in again easily.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you

Edited by HarrisonFamily

Perhaps keep them all shut in for a few days so they can learn that you calling them or rattling a corn pan or however you attract their attention will mean food, and so that they will get used to where to go to bed etc. Then when they’ve learnt those things I’d let them out for a bit just before bed time, then you can call them into their run for some corn when they’d be going that way anyway. 

I agree; I always keep any newbies isolated for the first couple of weeks, observe their health, treat for worms and lice and use this time to train them to come when I whistle. This is invaluable for getting them in the run in a hurry, and they will follow the same call as the existing birds when I integrate them.

12 hours ago, HarrisonFamily said:

Unfortunately, I cannot let them free range all day otherwise my dog would have to be in all the time - my dog would love a chicken or two for lunch !!!

So I will keep them in then let them out last an hour before bed and hope they head home 

Thanks for the help

I think I was suggesting that they need to be kept in the run and quarantined for at least a week - this will give you the opportunity to train them.