rachelcbaker

insurance for selling eggs?!

Hi everyone, am new to the forum - hello!  We have just got some lovely chickens, and are rehoming a couple more this weekend :)

My kids wanted to sell the eggs for some pocket money.  However, I would rather get some form of insurance in case (god forbid) someone claimed that they were made ill by an egg etc.  I am a lawyer and so am very conscious of what can go horribly wrong...

I am struggling to find out whether any companies offer this kind of insurance.  I am sure it is public liability insurance but have been told by one broker it isn't that.  My current household insurance said they won't cover it, NFU said they won't cover it and I am not sure who to approach.

Just wondered if anyone else had insurance to cover them selling eggs and if so where you got it from (and roughly how much it cost, we are only probably going to be selling about £6 worth a week!!!!)

Cheers

Rachel

I think before anyone would insure you the hens would need to be tested clear of salmonella. Then you would need some kind of welfare plan to show you were limiting the risk. This is only going to be worthwhile for a business.

We sold our eggs for years without issues (paid for the feed) and I'm sure thousands of others have done so as well. The only health issues that would normally arise are due to handling chickens. I think if you keep everything clean you won't have a problem. You can't wash eggs for sale and should never need to if their environment is clean and they are in good health. Be aware that occasionally your eggs may have blood spots in them caused by a tiny amount of bleeding when the yolk is released. Perfectly healthy to eat but may upset some people as commercial eggs are screened for them so they won't have seen them before. So before you sell any you need to try them from each hen, we had a Marans that always had a blood spot in the egg so we ate all of her eggs.

Perhaps to be perfectly safe don't sell them, just give the excess to people. I thought if they were a gift there would be no liability, but perhaps you are the best person to answer that?

Rather then selling the eggs, you could sell boxes that happen to have eggs in them or do a swap box system. Think this is the loop hole that many small holders use.

A local farm isn’t allowed to sell unpasteurised milk, so instead sells bottles and points you to the milk parlour. 

thanks both.  I know I am being paranoid about it and I can't believe that all of the "frontdoor" sellers have insurance but unfortunately my line of work makes you paranoid 😞

the kids will have to earn their pocket money another way I guess and meanwhile our friends and neighbours can enjoy the eggs for free :)

Cheers!

There are several people in our village who put their surplus eggs out for sale and, some time ago, on of the children at ES school made her pocket money by selling eggs to mums! I think that, if you made up a little notice or slip of paper to go with the eggs to say that they have not been whatever tested and shouldn't be eaten soft boiled then you'd cover yourself?

As my name suggests, I make soap and have had to give up any ideas of selling it as, when I looked into insurance cover, I was quoted just over 2k!