ebg

stopping broody bantams?

Hi folks 

I have four young bantams, they started laying in beginning of June, almost immediately one went broody. I thought it would stop after a month but now the others are now following suit, Two are definitely broody and their combs have gone pale. my question is how can I manage this when I work all day and have an Eglu therefore the others go into lay? If I block it the others cant get in. The others are still laying alongside the broody one. I turf them out every time I see them in the coop, and they go and feed and wander around the garden. Im due to go away on holiday for a week any tips?

thanks Liz 

They can stay broody for quite a while. You can try to break the broodies before you go using a broody cage, but might not be easy. My Merel can stay broody for weeks on end. But I have no means to isolate her to break her broodyness. (Very close living neighbours) When I’m home, I do turf her out and even take her out of the run. She will try to get back in for most of the day, but it does bring down her broodyness. I don’t have any predators though.

• Like 1