Yorkie_and_us

What Cleaning products are best?

My Cube is arriving in July and I thought I should get all the important cleaning products ready!

any recommendations?

Im thinking of:

Barrier V1 spray disinfectant 

Biolink Poultry Sheild 

Barrier Red Mites powder

any recommendation for DE and something good for the chicken run? 

What do you think of Stalosan F disinfectant and Nettex Total Hygiene Powder? Are they healthy? 

I have mild OCD 🤦‍♀️🤣 so I really want to keep my little chicks clean and healthy 😊 I’m planning to clean the chicken coop everyday and the chicken run. 😊🤦‍♀️

Thank you 

Izabella 

Hello again Izabella,

As with most things, you'll probably find that everyone has various different ideas.

About once every 2-3 months (depending on how wet the weather has been and how dirty the hens have been), we do a big clean out of all the wood chip. When we do this we take out all the chipping and then sprinkle Nettex and DE all over the ground before putting new chip down.

When we do our weekly clean in the Cube, we use a disinfectant and also spray DE into all the corners etc. as a defence against mites.

Then once every 3 months we take the Cube apart completely, jet-wash the whole thing, and use this disinfectant:

We also use Red Top fly catchers over spring/summer to try keep those at bay: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Red-Top-86757-Fly-Trap/dp/B06Y34JR84/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2SXY6DJ9MW5ZK&dchild=1&keywords=red+top+fly+trap&qid=1589477616&sprefix=red+top+fl%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-2

We worm them once every 3 months with Flubenvet.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Cheers,

Andy

• Thanks 1

I don't use DE - it's an irritant for eyes and airways.

Clean the cube etc and then spray with Nettex Total Mite Kill ready to use spray (pink one) which is a disinfectant and mite killer. Then dust with Nettex Buz Busters Louse Powder, which also kills mites.

Rake their Ground Sanitising Powder through the Aubiose in the run weekly, and then when I do a total muck-out, I sprinkle it on the slabs before cracking open a new bale of Aubiose.

It doesn't need to be complicated or to have lots of products, just ones which work.

• Thanks 1

What type of fly catcher are you using? 

Only  if you keep your chickens in a glass box, can you avoid flies... they will always be around, but shouldn’t be too abundant. As long as your chickens are healthy and have no mucky bottoms, they are not very likely to get fly strike. Mine will try and catch any slow flies.