Annabel

Poorly chicken advice please

This is Bess- a rescued ex-caged hen believed to be 15months and rescued in Feb.

This morning she was absolutely fine, first to run out of the coop, first to grab a tasty treat and running round the garden with the others in hot pursuit (and she had laid early this morning).

By midday I went out calling them - everyone came but her which is highly unusual (she is the top chicken). I found her hunched up in the corner by the conservatory in the shade on her own. She did not run to me. My daughter offered her meal worms by hand as she had missed the treat but she declined. She has been stood on one leg (apparently falling asleep) and occasionally shaking her head (as a dog would with an irritated ear). 

A few hours later we fed the chickens some treats, she walked up to where we were slowly and pecked some of them but then stood on one leg and hunched herself (as they do when cold). We’ve put water by her but only just now as many sources around the garden for water right now as emptying the paddling pool.

anyone have any ideas as to what can cause a sudden deterioration like this (she’s laid everyday for at least the last two months, but she is the only hen out of the rescued ones to not grow her feathers back). I know these rescued hens have short life spans but can I do anything like a chicken tonic to give her a chance or anything for the pain and if this is her time, do you know roughly how long she will be suffering for?

thank you

image.jpg

She looks rather miserable. Nutri drops can help them perk up. You can put her somewhere warm and comfortable. 
Give her a good once over and feel her crop and belly. Crop should be filled, but neither hard or squishy/sloshy. Her belly shouldn’t feel like a hot fluid filled balloon.

Other than that, I would suggest a trip to the vet. They can take quite some time dying if this is actually the end. So I wouldn’t just leave her to her suffering, but end it one way or another if you think the end is near.

• Like 1

This is my first time feeling her crop (or any chicken's) so I wasn't quite sure what it should feel like, so I compared with the other 2 chickens rescued with her of the same breed.  The two healthy ones crop felt full, plump but could be indented with gently pushing.  Bess' felt much less full and I could indent it much more easily as it felt softer.

I haven't felt her belly as I didn't want to stress her out so will try that later once she has had time to recover from me.

By now they should be full, almost like a small sack of grain/beans. So yea, you should be able to indent it. 
Sounds like she hasn’t been eating much. You could try her on something high energy like tuna or wet cat/dog food. Most chickens find this irresistible. If any of mine are poorly, I give her a wet cat food with a bit of oats mixed in. But is she is suffering from something, it might not change the outcome, but she at least goes to bed with a full belly.

It is possible that the end is nigh but this sounds like an awfully swift deterioration for anything ‘old-agey’ even for an ex commercial hen.

As Cattails says though, I’d make sure she’s somewhere warm and comfortable for the night and see what the morning brings. Be prepared to get her to a vet if there’s no change.

I have tentative good news!  After the checking of her crop she seems to have perked up a lot.  She was walking around the garden a little more (rather than lying down or standing on one leg in the corner), is no longer shaking her head and actually fought some of the other chickens off the cat food which really surprised me.  She also went for the porridge (with water) and had a fair bit of that.  Felt her crop again and still a lot less full than the others but less 'floppy'.

I've cleaned out the coup to make sure she feels very happy in there tonight and hopefully she will come out in the morning perky!  Really pleased and hopeful with the turnaround.  Thank you for your help (and I now know how to check a chicken's crop!) :)

• Thanks 1

Hi, Amazingly she is back to her normal self ruling the roost!  She came charging out of the run, eating well, looking inquisitive and moving around wonderfully.  I am so delighted as yesterday I was talking to my young daughter explaining that she was unwell and so may not live long if she doesn't perk up so I am so happy I don't have to break her heart (and mine)!  Hopefully this continues....

• Like 2

No she laid a hard shelled egg... but this morning my other ex-caged hen didn't lay (very unusual for her) and then repeated the behaviour of Bess from yesterday - standing by herself in the shade.  Walking slowly.  Just wanting to be by herself, not too interested in food.  Then a few hours later she snapped out of it and was back to normal.  I've thrown all the food out and washed out the containers and replenished as it seems like a tummy upset.  Bizzare.  I also checked the coop for red mite (nothing I could see), no red marks on white kitchen towel and had all been cleaned out very recently.  It is weird.  I'm wondering if tomorrow the third ex-caged hen will be off colour!

My 7 week old hen has possibly dislocated her hip and I'm unsure what to do. She wont place weight on it but can still wiggle her feet. She cant get up but is still eating and drinking. She means a lot to me and I dont want to dispatch her unless absolutely necessary. We cant afford a vet but does anyone know of a way to help her recover from this?

Please help.