Mrs_B

Protecting hens against spurs

Question about protecting hens against spurs!
I have two flocks, the older flock including the Hamburgh has pretty big spurs (she is a hen). I tried an intro and the Hamburgh used her spurs against another hen. This is new territory to me I have done tons of intros in the past, but my hens haven't had spurs before! They're all separated again now, but of course I don't want injury to hens in the future - so question is, is there anything anyone recommends to protect against spurs please? Covers etc?

Thank you (I haven't posted in years, good to be back!)

On 8/9/2020 at 6:35 AM, Beantree said:

Either carefully trim the spurs, or make the introduction more gradual. They are fighting for position and protecting their ground so the run size should increase when new hens are introduced.

Thanks, everyone!
I wasn't 100% sure you could even trim spurs - so this is something I shall look at!

Thankfully both groups are in their own separate areas so are getting used to each other through a partition and going fine so far, I definitely find gradual is best - fingers crossed! Will intro properly at some point, no rush 😀

On 8/8/2020 at 10:08 PM, Patricia W said:

Hi Mrs B     Welcome back!   No idea about your question though.  I have had a Cockerel with lethal spurs.  My husband still bears the scar!  He didn’t use them with the girls though.  Just other males....  maybe someone else will know. 

Thank you!

OUCH! I can only imagine how much that must have hurt! 😬

• Haha 1