Tigernatz

Chicken Fighting

I just got two new speckledy hens that are 25 weeks old and they are sisters. I really hoped that they would get along with my 7yr, 6yr and 2yr old ex battery hens. But I haven’t seen any sign of them getting along in the slightest. My ex battery hens just seem to chase the speckledy hens at any opportunity. I even have a separate small place where Dolly and Daisy( the two speckledy hens) sleep!!  What should I do to improve their behaviour with one another? 

7 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

And how did you introduce them?

We had the new hens in their new enclosure and we had our pre existing hens outside in a fenced off area. So that they can see them. Suddenly two of my hens, Maisie and Lola started to get really excited. So after some ole I let them in. And to my astonishment my three existing gems huddled in a corner scared of the new hens. They were scared because they have never seen a grey chicken. The next day, we just saw a lot of chasing a round. Especially from our 2yr old chicken. 

It’s VERY early days yet. Getting new hens integrated into an existing flock can take weeks not days. As long as all hens are able to access food and water and no blood is drawn just give them time and let them get on with it. Although some will say you would be wise to keep the new girls in quarantine for a couple of weeks before you put them all in together to ensure they won’t bring any diseases or new parasites in with them.

9 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

It’s VERY early days yet. Getting new hens integrated into an existing flock can take weeks not days. As long as all hens are able to access food and water and no blood is drawn just give them time and let them get on with it. Although some will say you would be wise to keep the new girls in quarantine for a couple of weeks before you put them all in together to ensure they won’t bring any diseases or new parasites in with them.

Thank you 😊. The place that we got them from wormed them and gave them all their vaccinations. Also when we got them we gave them DE powder in their food. It kills all internal parasites, and worms them.  And it’s very nutritious for them. Thank you for your advice 

5 minutes ago, Tigernatz said:

Thank you 😊. The place that we got them from wormed them and gave them all their vaccinations. Also when we got them we gave them DE powder in their food. It kills all internal parasites, and worms them.  And it’s very nutritious for them. Thank you for your advice 

DE doesn’t worm them and can be an irritant to their respiratory system. Best to keep to a medical wormer like flubenvet and not to mix their food with something that is effectively very fine dust.

• Thanks 1