pb4

This coop for 4 chickens

Hi, I'm hoping to get 4 ex-battery chickens later on this year and I've been looking at all the things I'm going to need etc! I'm going to have an run which will be 15x6ft (covered) and I really like the look of the coops from The Clever Coop Company, although they are expensive. I had thought it would be better to get the larger version of the two they offer but actually I think realistically I think four will be enough with the costs and the room etc. I appreciate the hobby is addictive 😉but for the first few years at least I don't think we'd want more than four. Is this coop suitable for four ex-battery hens? I had thought about getting the larger version anyway but read that they'll keep warmer in a smaller coop and we live high up so it can get very cold in the winter! What do you think? Standard 'Snaplock' Chicken Coop

https://www.theclevercoopcompany.com/product-page/standard-snaplock-chicken-coop

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! ☺️

Thank you for your reply!  Good to know they will all huddle up together for warmth! The larger version just looks too big for four hens and i guess it will eat up a bit more bedding and take a bit more cleaning too as well as costing an extra £200 more!😮 As I think four will be enough for me for a good few years I'm wondering if this one would be suitable at this stage? Just wanted to check before ordering that they wouldn't be cramped. I would rather stretch and pay more for them to be happy..But equally I don't see the point in spending more if there is no need.. So many choices! 

49 minutes ago, pb4 said:

I don't see the point in spending more if there is no need.. So many choices! 

There will be a point later when you have caught More-Hens disease and want more space.

I chose the Cube in the first place because it was bigger and just in case I might get more girls at a later date.

I first started off with 3 chickens and numbers gradually increased over time of various kinds. Now I just have Pekins, my absolute favourite.

I have 2 Pekins in there at the moment. The 5 chicks I have now will go in their own space for a while and then in the autumn, I will put them all together.

There would never have been enough space for 7 if I had got something smaller.

Be warned, there is no cure for More-Hens disease.

Thanks for the replies😊 I've looked at the omlet coops and unless I'm looking at the wrong one, it's more expensive (about £100) and very

slightly smaller?? I've ordered a run which I'm going to put a roof onto. I would make a stand for the clever coop company one which thankfully looks easy. Is the size of this coop suitable for 4 ex battery hens? 

Thanks🙂

I think the cube is just over £600 without the run and I have had 6 hybrids easily in a cube in the past - I ended up with a multi coloured cube in the sale section but that was years ago -I have no idea about size comparisons - if the one you are looking at is slightly bigger it will fit 4 hens easily - The outdoor space is more important but I think 15ft x 6ft should be fine and if you can get the coop outside the run it gives the hens more room to roam and makes it easier to clean and collect eggs - it also helps when you go on holiday as I have found neighbours will happily collect eggs but not so keen on going in with them.

2 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

There will be a point later when you have caught More-Hens disease and want more space.

I chose the Cube in the first place because it was bigger and just in case I might get more girls at a later date.

I first started off with 3 chickens and numbers gradually increased over time of various kinds. Now I just have Pekins, my absolute favourite.

I have 2 Pekins in there at the moment. The 5 chicks I have now will go in their own space for a while and then in the autumn, I will put them all together.

There would never have been enough space for 7 if I had got something smaller.

Be warned, there is no cure for More-Hens disease.

No cure for More-Hens disease? Help, I think I’ve caught it already! What should I do?