Emma1786

Soft shell and messy bum

Hi 

I have recently added a bluebell to my flock. She's about 23-24 week old. We have had her 5 weeks or so. She started laying along with two others we got at the same tine approx 3 weeks ago. She's only managed a handful of eggs and the rest have been soft shell. 

Ive added calcium supplements to water for 5 days but no improvement. There is two pots of oyster shells grit (fine and larger bits). They are fed layers pellets. 

She also has a terrible messy bum. That needs washing every couple of days. She likes to lay in the coop, doesn't roost even of I pop her on the bar she gets down during the night. I don't think it's helped by the excessive amount of water she appears to drink. And seems to have watery poops in the morning and at night. 

They have recently been intergreted into the the big run with 3 other chickens (6 in total). 

Can the soft shell still be her ironing out the kinks? How long do pullets normally lay soft shells for? Everyone else is laying fine.  

I'm guessing a element of stress might also be a factor although the mixing seems to have gone well, and not much pecking or bullying and not really towards her. 

Has anyone else experienced messy bottom hens? And how do you manage it ? I don't think it vent gleet. There is no discharge. And seems to be just mattered poop. Her vent is clean. 

Lots of questions sorry. But thanks in advance 

We had a Bluebell hybrid years ago with exactly the same problem for months and we couldn't resolve it. Haven't had the problem since, so perhaps it is just down to the breeding? Our latest batch are hybrids and they were laying soft shelled eggs off the perch during the night for the first two weeks or so which we put down to disturbance by foxes. Adding electrification around the enclosure immediately resolved the issue. So could she be being disturbed at night?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Beantree said:

We had a Bluebell hybrid years ago with exactly the same problem for months and we couldn't resolve it. Haven't had the problem since, so perhaps it is just down to the breeding? Our latest batch are hybrids and they were laying soft shelled eggs off the perch during the night for the first two weeks or so which we put down to disturbance by foxes. Adding electrification around the enclosure immediately resolved the issue. So could she be being disturbed at night?

Thankyou for your reply. We have spotlights and cameras up as they is a residential fox. But touch wood he's not been seen for weeks and never made an attempt on the run or girls. Just seemed to pass through the garden. 

Same problem with soft shell? Messy bum? Or both? 

My original three a CLBs, so this is my first experience of hybrids. Not had this problem before 

There may be a problem with her digestive flora which could account for the messy bum and the egg shells; if she isn't digesting food properly she may not be taking up the vitamins and minerals she needs? We used to use Avipro Avian but now we just give them some rearers pellets, as here they contain probiotics. We did once use Beryl's bacteria which was very effective with firming up all our chickens' sloppy poos. The downside is the price and the need to be in to receive the refrigerated package (and it stinks!)

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Beantree said:

There may be a problem with her digestive flora which could account for the messy bum and the egg shells; if she isn't digesting food properly she may not be taking up the vitamins and minerals she needs? We used to use Avipro Avian but now we just give them some rearers pellets, as here they contain probiotics. We did once use Beryl's bacteria which was very effective with firming up all our chickens' sloppy poos. The downside is the price and the need to be in to receive the refrigerated package (and it stinks!)

That's a thought thankyou

Ill look to order some now 

I think some hens just aren’t that healthy. I had an araucana bantam who was reasonably well during the winter, but when in lay she was exactly as you describe (except that she did lay decent shells). She never got any better or worse but sadly died after a dog attack when she was about 4 years old.

I currently have a Plymouth Rock bantam - she’s actually top hen - who lays eggs with rubbish shells or no shells and has a mucky bum but is otherwise fine - really solid when you pick her up - and is actually a survivor of the dog attack (had to have stitches).

I also have two hens (one aged 8 and the other aged 1) who have laid in the past but now don’t lay at all but are otherwise healthy.

I’m not saying don’t bother to try to help your hen, just that I don’t think there is always a solution.

I found her puffed up in the corner of the pen. Refusing food and drink.

Brought her in and gave her a espon salt bath as she was straining and crated her over night. This morning she's just the same. Managed to get some water down her not much. Her crop didn't empty over night but isn't hard either. She's done some normal poops. I just can't figure out what is wrong now 

Yes wormed them as soon as I got them home so within the last few weeks. 

I only have one local vets (45 minute drive) who sees chickens and actually comfortable and knowledgeable in treating them. I will call when open and if closed for BH I'll ring BHWT see if they can offer advice or an alternative vets.

After given her another bath, and a crop massage she did the nastiest poop. And seems to have perked up a bit.

I've popped her back in the crate for further rest and till I've spoken to a vet. 

Poor girl. She's breaking my heart 

It's sounding like she has sour crop and it is important she only gets water, no food, until is empty. We have had a few cases where a very mushy crop was hiding a solid lump of rotting food. Clearly uncomfortable, they drink a lot of water as a result and their digestion goes bad, resulting in slimy stinky poo. So just keep massaging regularly to see if you can clear it, because trying to empty the crop will be risky if you haven't done it before. Worth adding that the cases we've had have all been resolved successfully and could have been the result of eating too much without drinking enough before going to roost. We have only risked emptying the crop on a few occasions as a very last resort.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beantree said:

It's sounding like she has sour crop and it is important she only gets water, no food, until is empty. We have had a few cases where a very mushy crop was hiding a solid lump of rotting food. Clearly uncomfortable, they drink a lot of water as a result and their digestion goes bad, resulting in slimy stinky poo. So just keep massaging regularly to see if you can clear it, because trying to empty the crop will be risky if you haven't done it before. Worth adding that the cases we've had have all been resolved successfully and could have been the result of eating too much without drinking enough before going to roost. We have only risked emptying the crop on a few occasions as a very last resort.

That's great thankyou. 

Some reading advises natural yoghurt - and or ACV? Do you just stick to water ? 

Just water has always worked for us. Not sure if you would use ACV for an advanced case, because they can develop fungal crop cankers and perhaps that treats it? As said, avoid probiotic yoghurt; we have used it in the past in ignorance of the potential side effects, but I wouldn't risk it again.